Steady State Advertising Balloon RRS feed

• Question

• How do I remove the Steady State advertising balloon from showing when a Student logs in?
     I have ticked "Do not warn the administrator..." in 'Protect The Hard Disk', to no avail.
      When I set Group Policy, 'Hide the Notification Area' to enabled, it actually made it worse, having a big popup window in the middle of the screen.

Is it possible to retain the last logged on user within the Ctrl Alt Del Login window? With steady State enabled it retains the administrative account username.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 6:15 AM

Answers

• Bubble.exe is responsible for the message. To disable it on certain user, you can add bubble.exe to blocked programs in Windows SteadyState.

For the second one, do you mean you want to use classic log on screen instead of welcome screen? You can check the restrictions in Set Computer Restrictions.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Wednesday, March 17, 2010 2:53 AM
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 7:25 AM

All replies

• Bubble.exe is responsible for the message. To disable it on certain user, you can add bubble.exe to blocked programs in Windows SteadyState.

For the second one, do you mean you want to use classic log on screen instead of welcome screen? You can check the restrictions in Set Computer Restrictions.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Wednesday, March 17, 2010 2:53 AM
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 7:25 AM
  • Thanks, excluding bubble.exe in group policy fixed that problem.

We use classic log on and retain the last logged on username for security reasons. (yes)  When an administrative account logs in to set Steady State active, this account name is shown each time the computer is restarted. I want to stop this from happening for security reasons. :)

(Steady State seems to enable as soon as you click the radio button to remove all changes at restart)
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 4:31 AM
  • You can enable the restriction under Set Computer Restrictions - Security Settings - Remove the Administrator user name from the Welcome screen.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 6:08 AM