Outlook runs "Preparing to Install" everytime i want to open an Office 2007 document, Work, Excel PowerPoint Attachment RRS feed

• Question

• I reinstalled Office Standard 2007 and since then everytime i open an Office document as an attachment in Outlook, i see the "Preparing to Install" dialog window. Then i have to wait while "Windows configures Microsoft Office 2007", this happens with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents every time i try to open these documents.

Is there a way to fix this without having to re-install Office 2007 again?

BTW, i would get this same error after the install when i click on the shortcuts in the task bar, or in the All Program files menus. I fixed that problem by doing a Right-Click on the program in Program Files, and pinning it to the Start menu, now i don't get that dialog window, just in Outlook.

Thanks

B

Bobby
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:02 PM

Answers

• I went ahead and remove Office 2007 using add/remove programs, (this is Windows 7 pro BTW), and just for grins i rebooted the computer. I did have to manually remove the Microsoft office folder, there were an office11 and office12 folder still there. I also ran the fixit tool from this link, (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301) just to make sure there wasn't anything else, like old shortcuts laying around. Then rebooted again, and ran the installation of Office 2007 again.

This fixed the problem, after activating the program again, i am able to open Word and Excel attachment in Outlook without getting the "Preparing to Install" message, it even works a little faster. I consider this problem solved.

Bobby
    • Marked as answer by BWITDEPT Wednesday, April 20, 2011 6:50 PM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 6:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For this issue, I recommend you to run the Outlook program as admin to try.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Harry

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttngfb@microsoft.com  

• Proposed as answer by Harry Yuan Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:10 AM
    Monday, April 18, 2011 3:20 AM
  • I went ahead and remove Office 2007 using add/remove programs, (this is Windows 7 pro BTW), and just for grins i rebooted the computer. I did have to manually remove the Microsoft office folder, there were an office11 and office12 folder still there. I also ran the fixit tool from this link, (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301) just to make sure there wasn't anything else, like old shortcuts laying around. Then rebooted again, and ran the installation of Office 2007 again.

This fixed the problem, after activating the program again, i am able to open Word and Excel attachment in Outlook without getting the "Preparing to Install" message, it even works a little faster. I consider this problem solved.

Bobby
    • Marked as answer by BWITDEPT Wednesday, April 20, 2011 6:50 PM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 6:50 PM