none
Experiences with in-place upgrade from 2012 R2 Core Hyper-V Cluster to 2016 Core Cluster?

Question

• So, i was thinking about upgrading my HV Cluster (8 Nodes Server 2012 R2 Core Datacenter) to Windows Server 2016.

I know that usually inplace upgrades are not the way to go, but i was thinking that these Server are rather barebones due to them beeing 1st Core Servers and 2nd only serving Hyper V, albeit in a Failover Cluster. In other words there are no other features or roles enabled and apart from a backup client and a MPIO software from my storage vendor theres nothing installed on them.

So i thought this might maybe work out.

Would just get some input from you guys who have maybe allready tried it or have otherwise useful information regarding my endevour?

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 3:02 PM

Answers

• Rolling cluster upgrade is a new feature of Windows Server 2016.  https://technet.microsoft.com/windows-server-docs/failover-clustering/cluster-operating-system-rolling-upgrade?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396Note that these instructions say to use a clean upgrade, and the text says it "does not encourage in-place upgrade".  Since this is a new feature, and clusters are important to your business operations (otherwise you would not be running them), it does not make sense to 'experiment' at this time.

Besides, now would be a good time to script the installation of both your backup client and MPIO software, if you have not already done that.  Makes future updates a lot easier and quicker.

. : | : . : | : . tim

• Marked as answer by Sascha Loth Thursday, January 26, 2017 6:32 AM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 4:00 PM
  • Hi Sascha,

>>it does not make sense to 'experiment' at this time.

I agree with Tim.

I would prefer to wait for more related guides and documents.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 2:55 AM

All replies

• Rolling cluster upgrade is a new feature of Windows Server 2016.  https://technet.microsoft.com/windows-server-docs/failover-clustering/cluster-operating-system-rolling-upgrade?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396Note that these instructions say to use a clean upgrade, and the text says it "does not encourage in-place upgrade".  Since this is a new feature, and clusters are important to your business operations (otherwise you would not be running them), it does not make sense to 'experiment' at this time.

Besides, now would be a good time to script the installation of both your backup client and MPIO software, if you have not already done that.  Makes future updates a lot easier and quicker.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 4:00 PM
  • Hi Sascha,

>>it does not make sense to 'experiment' at this time.

I agree with Tim.

I would prefer to wait for more related guides and documents.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 2:55 AM
  • alright, thanks to both of you. 

I havent had much hope from the beginning, but i thought i might just ask anyway.

Rolling upgrade is a thing I was not aware of, so i will go that route i guess.

Also yeah, i have scripted the installation of the software (i have scripted the complete installation of a host from bare metal up to the point where you only need to join them into the cluster).

Thursday, January 26, 2017 6:32 AM