SteadyState service hung at machine startup. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

during my testing of Security Programs detection by Windows SteadyState v. 2.0 as described in a previous thread (http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1793836&SiteID=69), I observed the following sequence of events in the System Event log at machine startup:

(please note that there is a time lag of 1 minute and 27 seconds between item 1 of the list below and the previous event in the log)

1. [Error, Source: Service Control Manager] Event ID 7022: The Windows SteadyState Service service hung on starting.
    2. [Information, Source: Windows SteadyState] Event ID 0: Service started
    3. [Information, Source: Service Control Manager] Event ID 7036: The Windows SteadyState Service service entered the running state.

Is this an emanation of the known issue regarding slow logon described in the WSS readme file and discussed in thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1779059&SiteID=69

Is there any information available on how to tweak the SCTsvc.exe service settings in the registry to attempt to alleviate this problem?

TIA for any response.

Jan J.

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 1:26 PM

All replies

•  

I’m running XP Pro on a domain.(let me know what other specifications you need)  I installed SteadyState on numerous machines.  10 machines, worked fine.  10 other machines, when I turned Disk Protection “On” and the program installed disk protection everything seemed fine.  To complete the installation of disk protection it restarts after clicking OK.

Here’s where I’m getting the problem.  It gets to the Windows XP screen and the bar under the windows icon that cycles from left to right never freezes, but I left one machine for a half an hour and it didn’t boot up.  I ended up pulling the plug, and going home for the night.  I couldn’t figure out why it was doing that.

Please let me know what I can do to get SteadyState installed on those machines.

Friday, August 17, 2007 3:41 AM
  • I have uninstalled Windows Steady State and will wait for the next patch.

Steady State has an extremely slow startup and  log in, every time there is a cold boot, not just on the first boot as incorrectly mentioned in other "known issues"

When the slow boot is fixed, and the Notification Area is hideable ( a real deal breaker for security), I might try it again.

Meanwhile I am looking at some other 3rd party software that seems less buggy and easier to use.

So promising, but sad
    Friday, August 17, 2007 4:04 AM
  • Hi Gballane,

As the Windows Disk Protection (WDP) cache file is very sensitive to the hard drive problem. Please refer to the following thread to check the hard drive before turning on WDP:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1990854&SiteID=69

If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Monday, August 20, 2007 9:10 AM