Lync server integration with TDM PBX ( Inter-tel Eclipse ) RRS feed

• Question

• Any of you have general idea how the lync can work together with traditional tdm pbx like inter-tel pbx? I can guess that the outbound call from lync client can be routed to inter-tel system through audiocodes. Audio codes can handle the routing to inter-tel system I think. But how the call from inter-tel can route back to lync server? Anyone has an experience or idea about Lync server integration with TDM PBX ?
    Thiha
    Friday, February 25, 2011 4:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Thiha,

Typically with InterTel systems I have put the gateway out front and had it handle the T1's, and allowed the two systes to route to each other.  Then any extensions that are moved from InterTel to OCS/Lync I would create a phantom for and setup the phantom to forward the call to 555-555-XXXX over the outbound trunk.  Then I'd configure the gateway to strip everything except the extensions, manipulate the number to match the OCS/Lync extension, add a + and route to OCS. 

This has worked very well in a number of installs I've done.

Hope this helps!
    -kp

Kevin Peters blog: www.ocsguy.com MVP Communications Server, MCITP: Enterprise Administration | MCTS:OCS | MCSE | MCSA | CCNA
    Friday, February 25, 2011 8:38 PM
  • Hi Kevin,

Your solution is very interesting. So you put the gateway ( let say audiocodes) up front and handle the PRI T1 trunk for both inter-tel PBX and the lync and, routing to each other?

How can the gateway can send the calls or signals to the inter-tel system? I understand like the gateway is on the IP network and not the inter-tel is. My question can be stupid because I don't have any knowledge about the TDM PBX.

And the gateway( audiocodes) also handles the extension to extension calls between inter-tel and the lync clients?

Thiha
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 11:36 PM
  • Thitha,

You would need to connect the TDB PBX to the audio codes via it's T1/E1.  Please have a look at this series of articles, I went into this solution a bit further in it and it may answers your questions.

http://ocsguy.com/2009/06/15/part-2-how%e2%80%99d-ya-like-to-trade-in-that-old-pbx-for-a-shiny-new-ocs-environment/

http://ocsguy.com/2009/06/15/part-2-how%e2%80%99d-ya-like-to-trade-in-that-old-pbx-for-a-shiny-new-ocs-environment/

http://ocsguy.com/2009/06/29/part-3-how%e2%80%99d-ya-like-to-trade-in-that-old-pbx-for-a-shiny-new-ocs-environment/

Hope this helps!

-kp

Kevin Peters blog: www.ocsguy.com MVP Communications Server, MCITP: Enterprise Administration | MCTS:OCS | MCSE | MCSA | CCNA
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 6:09 PM
  • Hi Kevin,

Your articles help me so much. I'm going to read it through. I'm wondering what kind of gateway did you use? I'm thinking to use AudioCodes 1000 for my project. BTW, are you open for consulting for business ? Our customer wants to deploy the Lync

Thiha
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 8:35 PM
  • Thitha,

I've used audiocodes and NET for this scenario.  I have a contact on my about page if you'd like to contact me with other questions.

Hope this helps!

-kp

Monday, March 7, 2011 1:14 AM