none
2012 Windows Server Backup UI (wbadmin.msc) is missing ?

Question

• Hi,

I have installed the Windows Server Backup feature several times in Windows Server 2012, but the "Windows Server Backup UI" is missing under the "Administrative Tools" and under the \System32\wbadmin.msc .

Any ideas how to re-create or workaround this problem ?

I really appreciate your help !

With kind regards,

Cengiz Kuskaya

Saturday, January 5, 2013 8:15 PM

Answers

• Problem solved: You have to install network load balancing feature. The file wbadmin.msc appears in the windows32 folder after installation of the NLB. If you try to uninstall the NLB, wbadmin.msc file disappears from windows32 folder.

I tried to install NLB again, then I copied wbadmin.msc to a temporary folder - I wanted to uninstall NLB and copy back wbadmin.msc file to the windows32 folder, but after NLB uninstallation wbadmin.msc was still in windows32 folder... so I have no NLB and working windows backup.

Hope this solution helps you.

p.

Saturday, January 5, 2013 11:54 PM

All replies

• I have same problem.

There is missing wbadmin.msc file in the czech version of the windows server 2012. I looked up this file in the english version of windows 2012 server - everything is ok. There is wbadmin.msc in the system32 folder and a windows server backup field in the Tools menu of Server manager dashboard.

Which language version of windows server 2012 do you use?

p.

Saturday, January 5, 2013 9:31 PM
  • Hi,

I use the english version.

Regards,

Cengiz Kuskaya

Saturday, January 5, 2013 9:35 PM
  • Problem solved: You have to install network load balancing feature. The file wbadmin.msc appears in the windows32 folder after installation of the NLB. If you try to uninstall the NLB, wbadmin.msc file disappears from windows32 folder.

I tried to install NLB again, then I copied wbadmin.msc to a temporary folder - I wanted to uninstall NLB and copy back wbadmin.msc file to the windows32 folder, but after NLB uninstallation wbadmin.msc was still in windows32 folder... so I have no NLB and working windows backup.

p.

Saturday, January 5, 2013 11:54 PM
  • Hi Pavel,

thank you very much. The action solved the problem.

With kind regards,

Cengiz Kuskaya

• Proposed as answer by nogaken Friday, July 7, 2017 2:38 AM
    Sunday, January 6, 2013 12:10 AM
  • Thank you.

When I tried it first it didn't work.

I had to uninstall both (NLB and WSB) then install NLB, then WSB for it to work.

Anybody having an idea why WSB would need NLB?

Thursday, January 10, 2013 6:56 PM
  • Hi

I had the same problem - but I have been backing up my server ever since Windows 2012 first came out.

When I came to back my server up at the start of this month, the "Windows Server Backup" entry was no longer under "Tools" on Server Manager.

After a LOT of searching on Bing I stumbled upon this Forum Entry by accident. 

I installed the NLB feature as suggested here and it re-appeared.

I wonder if this is due to a Windows Update ?

Regards

Nigel

Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:58 AM
  • Thanks a lot for the solution..
    I've wouldn't have know where to start to solve this(sorry for the pun).
    It could be due some Windows Update Bug...
    I just finished a Windows Update among other things..

Friday, March 15, 2013 2:50 PM
  • That is the most bizarre solution but sure enough, it fixed the problem for me.  Installed NLB and *wham* Windows Server Backup is showing up in Administrative Tools again.  Go figure.  Thanks for the post!
    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 5:05 AM
  • Problem solved: You have to install network load balancing feature.

Well Pavel, I have to thank you, because I would NEVER though that for a local server backup I must install NLB... :-0

Many thanks.

Friday, May 31, 2013 9:16 AM
  • Removing the Remote Desktop Services role also made wbadmin fail. Adding feature NLB restored the functionality
    • Proposed as answer by Lucian C Thursday, June 6, 2013 5:02 AM
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 5:30 PM
  • Thank you Toomanyhats, now I understood why I was missing the backup UI - I had to remove from that server the Remote Desktop Services role.
    Thursday, June 6, 2013 5:08 AM
  • Correction: You don't need "Feature / Network Load Balancing".

"Remote Server Administration Tools / Feature Administration Tools / Network Load Balancing Tools" is sufficient.

• Edited by Bernd Kilga Monday, October 14, 2013 11:49 PM
    • Proposed as answer by GadgetServer Friday, October 25, 2013 12:27 PM
    Monday, October 14, 2013 11:48 PM
  • Thank you, this also solved my problem. Just adding the NLB did the trick.
    Friday, October 25, 2013 9:35 AM
  • I had the same proble, 2012 so buggy lol why just cant update 2008 without breaking all, get united Microsoft , come on u can do it.. ???

Prosysco

Sunday, October 27, 2013 9:55 PM
  • 2 fresh installs of S2012 and one let me install WBU and the other did not.  Both of them are VMs on the same exact host.  Same patches, etc.  Really odd one...
    Monday, November 25, 2013 3:29 PM
  • Thank you so much for this solution. I was trying to figure this one out for 2 hours! NLB isn't installed on my other server so I was skeptical this would fix the problem but it did. 
    • Proposed as answer by MrHanCon Saturday, March 1, 2014 10:45 PM
    Sunday, January 26, 2014 12:44 AM
  • Update a information about this bug: Sometimes it happens on Windows Server 2012 R2, I have 2 same 2012 R2 servers running on Hyper-V host role, one is good but the other have to install RSAT-NLB to make wbadmin show up.

And further test shows after I made the wbadmin shown up and running it, uninstall RSAT-NLB will still remove wbadmin from system32 folder...

Thursday, April 17, 2014 6:58 PM
  • That's the most ridicules solution but it worked 100%.

Thanks for the sol.

Microsoft, Can you please explain the relation in between of those 2 modules ??

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 2:34 PM
  • Worked for me too. Agree is ridiculous and definitely a bug.

My thanks to the poster because I was struggling with this!

prd

Saturday, August 23, 2014 1:54 PM
  • Dir Cengiz

i also have almost the same problem but just like this 

I can't find server backup ,when i try to add window server backup from add role and feature wizard in server manager .

i had install server 2012 R2 data center ,any idea i really need your help

best regard

Saturday, October 18, 2014 2:38 AM
  • Hi Naroth,

in such a situation, if the Wİndows Server Backup Feature doesn't appear in Servfer Manager you can try to restore your windows installation with your w2k12r2 installation dvd, maybe something went wrong during the installation.

If you run the w2k12r2 installation dvd it will ask you what you would like to do. There is an option called restore corrupt files or like this as far as I remember.

Please try this option.

Saturday, October 18, 2014 9:39 AM
  • This work for me. Thks.

Sunday, November 2, 2014 9:19 PM
  • Hi

I have the same issue, I have 2 Windows 2012 R2 server, running Hyper-v role and have Failover cluster role as well. after I installed windows backup, I was able to see the tool, but when I uninstall failover cluster, I lost the backup tool as well.

I don't know what is the relation between other tools and backup but it work if I install any other tool (NLB) along with backup server.

Microsoft should look at this issue and resolve it.

Thursday, April 30, 2015 8:14 AM

p.

Hi Pavel,

thank you very much.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 9:29 AM
  • Hi,

I'm french and this solution works too for me ....

incredible ... i've 2 servers without this problem and the third have it !!!!

Thanks.

Thursday, January 14, 2016 10:45 PM
  • This works.  Thank you very much.
    Monday, June 27, 2016 5:15 PM
  • Hi Pavel,

I had same problem. Your answer helps me to solved the problem.

Thanks.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 9:52 AM
  • Problem solved: You have to install network load balancing feature. ....

Thanks a lot Pavel! It's really a great help to me. ;-) MS confusing states that 'backup' doesn't need a different module/service.

• Edited by RegineCZ Tuesday, September 13, 2016 6:11 AM
    Monday, September 12, 2016 1:08 PM
  • Thanks a lot Pavel, I had the same issue and your solution applies perfectly!

Kind regards

Fernando Pineda

Monday, September 26, 2016 6:17 PM
  • thanks bro.. this answer are helping us 
    Wednesday, November 2, 2016 8:07 AM
  • Correction: You don't need "Feature / Network Load Balancing".

"Remote Server Administration Tools / Feature Administration Tools / Network Load Balancing Tools" is sufficient.

Thank you!  This is the solution that worked for me!

Stuart

Thursday, July 27, 2017 9:02 PM
  • This problem still happening on Server 2016, and this solution still working haha

Remote Server Administration Tools / Feature Administration Tools / Network Load Balancing Tools

and

Windows Server Backup

#ProblemSolved #Done !!! Thanks Guys!

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 12:10 AM
  • I can confirm that the issue is present in Windows Server 2016 (not always to reproduce).

After looking a bit closer to the issue, I found that the server manager UI and powershell Install-Feature resulted in the same missing backup UI.

I checked with dism to see if the component were enabled.

Dism /online /Get-FeatureInfo /FeatureName:WindowsServerBackup
    Dism /online /Get-FeatureInfo /FeatureName:WindowsServerBackupSnapin

It seems that the powershell is forgetting to activate the WindowsServerBackupSnapin feature.

To correct the bug and not having NLB tools to install, we can install the UI with one command:

Dism /online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:WindowsServerBackupSnapin /All 

I guess the reason NLB tools is doing the same but because of a dependency between them.

• Proposed as answer by Serg .K Thursday, March 8, 2018 8:40 PM
    Sunday, December 17, 2017 6:00 PM
  • Worked like a charm with me!! Thanks Memphistopheles
    Sunday, May 6, 2018 6:05 PM