Wepos and Volume Control with custom shell RRS feed

• Question

• Hiya, currently gettiing ready to roll out wepos xp sp3 for a major UK retailer and have a proplem using an external usb sound bar and custom shell.

We have found that using a custom shell with the windows HID service enabled we can't adjust the volume control on a sound bar for training purposes. The work around so far has been to enabled windows explorer and then this functionality works.

Does anyone know how to work round this problem ie having a custom shell only and been able to adjust the volume control without windows explorer running?

Thank you, Simon

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 7:25 AM

Answers

All replies

• Simon,

It appears that SNDVOL32.EXE has a dependency on EXPLORER.EXE, but MMSYS.CPL is able to adjust the volume control.  I will try to track down some additional information here, but thought I would offer this as an alternative.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Thursday, July 1, 2010 5:10 PM
  • Simon,

If using MMSYS.CPL does not solve your issue, you may want to try setting the volume directly from within your application with mixerSetControlDetails.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Thursday, July 1, 2010 6:41 PM
  • Thank you Terry, that confirms exactly the behavoir we are seeing, also our users are not allowed access to mixerSetControlDetails either as the shell is completely locked down, any other ideas?
    Friday, July 2, 2010 9:18 AM
  • 'also our users are not allowed access to mixerSetControlDetails either as the shell is completely locked down'.

Please  ignore the above comment I am being a muppet and not reading the reply properly.

Simon

Friday, July 2, 2010 3:11 PM