none
Upgrade DPM 2012R2 to DPM 2016 on a new windows 2016 server RRS feed

• Question

• I try to follow these instructions:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center-docs/dpm/get-started/upgrade-to-dpm-2016

I backup the DPM database and restore on the new Win2016/SQL 2016 server. The run the setup, but it doesn´t detect/upgrade the existing database. It justs creates a new on and installs.

Can anybody help me with an upgrade path that works. Original server is W2008R2 W DPM 2012R2. I am only interested on keeping tape backups. Disk backups I don´t care.

thks. a lot!

Daniel

Thursday, April 20, 2017 9:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

DPM Setup can only detect and use the restored database as part of an upgrade.  What you performed was a new clean setup on a new server in which case DPM will always make a new database.  What you should have done is perform the upgrade on the original DPM server, then you could move to new hardware and restore the DPM 2016 database.

Unfortunately since the DPM 2012 R2 server was running on Windows 2008 R2, you will need to upgrade that to Windows 2012 R2 before you can upgrade to DPM 2016.

After upgrading original DPM server to DPM 2016 perform the following:

1) Backup the DPMDB.
    2) Shutdown the original DPM 2016 Server or take it off the wire.
    3) Reset the machine account in active directory.
    4) Install Windows 2016 on new machine and name it the same machine name as the original DPM Server.
    5) Join the Domain.
    6) Install DPM 2016.  (Move DPM Storage pool disks from old server and import)
    7) Restore the DPMDB taken from step-1.
    8) Run DPMSYNC -SYNC
    9) Install DPM Update Rollup-2 (KB3209593)
    10) If you have added NEW disks to the DPM Storage pool instead of moving the old ones, then run DPMSYNC -Reallocatereplica
    11) Upgrade the DPM agents.
    12 Run Consistency checks to get back to green.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, April 21, 2017 6:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM Setup can only detect and use the restored database as part of an upgrade.  What you performed was a new clean setup on a new server in which case DPM will always make a new database.  What you should have done is perform the upgrade on the original DPM server, then you could move to new hardware and restore the DPM 2016 database.

Unfortunately since the DPM 2012 R2 server was running on Windows 2008 R2, you will need to upgrade that to Windows 2012 R2 before you can upgrade to DPM 2016.

After upgrading original DPM server to DPM 2016 perform the following:

1) Backup the DPMDB.
    2) Shutdown the original DPM 2016 Server or take it off the wire.
    3) Reset the machine account in active directory.
    4) Install Windows 2016 on new machine and name it the same machine name as the original DPM Server.
    5) Join the Domain.
    6) Install DPM 2016.  (Move DPM Storage pool disks from old server and import)
    7) Restore the DPMDB taken from step-1.
    8) Run DPMSYNC -SYNC
    9) Install DPM Update Rollup-2 (KB3209593)
    10) If you have added NEW disks to the DPM Storage pool instead of moving the old ones, then run DPMSYNC -Reallocatereplica
    11) Upgrade the DPM agents.
    12 Run Consistency checks to get back to green.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, April 21, 2017 6:29 PM
  • thks! yes the server had to have the same name. I was missing that part. BTW I manages to install DPM 2016 on W 2008R2 by adding a registry key indicating the hyper-v powershell was installed.

Daniel

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 1:29 PM