OWA: The process failed to read the Exchange topology in the allotted time RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to get OWA Exchange 2010 working.
    But when i try to connect to my mailbox i get the following errors:

OWA version: 14.0.639.21

Exception
    Exception type: Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ReadTopologyTimeoutException
    Exception message: The process failed to read the Exchange topology in the allotted time.

My mailbox was moved from Exchange 2007.

Do you have some solutions ?

Thanks a lot.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 12:02 AM

Answers

• Fixed!

OK so apparently 2010 is super-mega-sensitive to problems with AD site definitions. 2007 was working fine throughout this process. In my case, here is what MS finally got done after about 12 hours on the phone, eventually talking to people in the US:

Since this is an AD topology problem, first make sure that you have a CAS in the same AD site as the mailbox server. In my case, it appeared that we had multiple. But OWA was still saying, in essence we had none.

So first do gpresult /r on all your Exchange 2010 servers in the relevant site. it should show everyone is using the same site and DC/GC (s).
    Assuming this shows OK, then you have a deeper problem than basic AD site definitions.

For me, I had everything in Default-First-Site, defined by the 172.16.0.0/16 subnet.
    BUT, for some reason I had a duplicate 172.16.0.0/16 subnet definition, named "172.16.0.0/16<some GUID gobblygook>"
    Removing the messed-up looking subnet fixed everything within seconds, including 2010->2007/2003 proxying.

So make sure your site definitions are clean, without overlapping/invalid/corrupt subnet definitions!
    • Proposed as answer by shlotz Friday, December 11, 2009 3:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by sohosoha Sunday, December 13, 2009 7:44 PM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 8:58 PM

All replies

• Still can't get my OWA working and i don't have any clue about this problem.

This is the background:

I had Exchange 2007 and upgraded to exchange 2010 by moving all mailboxes to the new server.
    When uninstalling exchange 2007 I had some problems with my public storage and i had to delete them with ADSI edit. Maybe this is why the topology is broken.
    There is a command for veryfying the topology about my echange Active directory ?

Here is the full error:

OWA version: 14.0.639.21

Exception
    Exception type: Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ReadTopologyTimeoutException
    Exception message: The process failed to read the Exchange topology in the allotted time.

Call stack
    Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ServiceCache.GetCurrentServiceTopology(TimeSpan getServiceTopologyTimeout)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ServiceTopology.GetCurrentServiceTopology()
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.ProxyUtilities.GetMailboxInfo(ExchangePrincipal exchangePrincipal, Site& targetSite, Site& currentSite, ServerVersion& targetVersion)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.ProxyUtilities.NeedOnSiteLegacyRedirect(ExchangePrincipal exchangePrincipal, Configuration configuration, Uri& legacyRedirectUrl, Boolean& isSameAuthMethod)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.FBASingleSignOnFilterChain.HandleIfLegacyRedirect(WindowsIdentity identity, String explicitLogonUser, Configuration owaConfiguration, HttpApplication httpApplication)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.FBASingleSignOnFilterChain.FilterRequest(Object source, EventArgs e, RequestEventType eventType)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.RequestFilterChain.ExecuteRequestFilterChain(Object source, EventArgs e, RequestEventType eventType)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.OwaModule.OnPostAuthorizeRequest(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    System.Web.HttpApplication.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
    System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Thanks !
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:54 AM
  • Yeah me too...same error.

None of his issues with uninstalling 2007 though...nothing like that has been done. Same errors connecting to mailboxes on v2010 and v2007...no difference. Error also occurs logging into the ECP.

Can't seem to find any relevant errors, dcdiags are clean. Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 1:52 PM
  • Made a clean installation of Exchange 2010 deleting all configurations from active directory. And still getting the same error.
    I've tried to check all events, and i see nothing specials.

The only thing i still have to fix is a problem with my outlook client getting the OAB. Getting the error with a send/receive hanging at 97%.
    But i really don't think it's linked.

Hope to find a solution to fix my OWA
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 1:56 PM
  • Yeah me too...same error.

None of his issues with uninstalling 2007 though...nothing like that has been done. Same errors connecting to mailboxes on v2010 and v2007...no difference. Error also occurs logging into the ECP.

Can't seem to find any relevant errors, dcdiags are clean. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Did you find the issue, i think it's due to some DC communication, but i tried to desactivate firewall with no luck
    same issue. Hope to find something to fix this
    Friday, November 27, 2009 7:25 PM
  • Yeah I tried that too...no luck. I also tried adding the CAS role to my MBX servers and trying to access OWA via actual server where the mailbox was located...but even that didn't work!

I know that this error is supposed to mean that the CAS server can't find a CAS server in the same site as the mailbox. But nltest /dsgetsite confirms that every CAS and MB server is in the same site (they're actually all on the same subnet as the DC), so that just doesn't make any sense.
    It's a test forest that could certainly have issues, but this is just silly, and not well logged as far as I can tell.

My company will pay me back for a MS ticket, so it's looking like I'll have to do that when I get some time.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 9:16 PM
  • Something like 10 hours into a ticket, and the main result is that the EMS on my CAS server is now broken, but we did solve an unrelated MAPI issue!....

Otherwise, nothing's helped. 90% chance this never happens again outside my totally crappy test forest, but no test = no production. I'll check back as things progress (or don't).
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 2:47 PM
  • I am getting the same error message with OWA on Exchange 2010.  I'm migrating from 2003. 

Regular RPC connection to the 2010 server works, but OWA, Outlook Anywhere, and even POP fail.   I spent 3 hours with MS today and no resolution yet.
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 3:57 AM
  • Fixed!

OK so apparently 2010 is super-mega-sensitive to problems with AD site definitions. 2007 was working fine throughout this process. In my case, here is what MS finally got done after about 12 hours on the phone, eventually talking to people in the US:

Since this is an AD topology problem, first make sure that you have a CAS in the same AD site as the mailbox server. In my case, it appeared that we had multiple. But OWA was still saying, in essence we had none.

So first do gpresult /r on all your Exchange 2010 servers in the relevant site. it should show everyone is using the same site and DC/GC (s).
    Assuming this shows OK, then you have a deeper problem than basic AD site definitions.

For me, I had everything in Default-First-Site, defined by the 172.16.0.0/16 subnet.
    BUT, for some reason I had a duplicate 172.16.0.0/16 subnet definition, named "172.16.0.0/16<some GUID gobblygook>"
    Removing the messed-up looking subnet fixed everything within seconds, including 2010->2007/2003 proxying.

So make sure your site definitions are clean, without overlapping/invalid/corrupt subnet definitions!
    • Proposed as answer by shlotz Friday, December 11, 2009 3:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by sohosoha Sunday, December 13, 2009 7:44 PM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 8:58 PM
  • Same thing resolved my issue!
    Friday, December 11, 2009 7:23 AM
  • Thanks sholtz for you help on this issue !

It's working now.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 7:20 PM
  • Active Directory, sites and services

Sites

Subnets:

What i did and it worked instantly, I had a copy from each subnet but as shlotz says <some GUID gobblygook>, delete those entries, leave the clean, lean ones, and good to go.

It took me a while to get this righ (yeah, i know i know).

And thanks, btw

Monday, June 14, 2010 10:38 AM
  • Intresting becaue the subnet part on my end seems blank.

What do you suggest ? Also its not allowing me to create a new one.

- Amit

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 9:16 AM
  • You the man!!! deleted the Subnet garbage entry from the AD sites and Services...SORTED!!!

Thanks!

Monday, November 14, 2011 6:35 PM