Something changed..what controls this userid/password login prompt for network shared resources? RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 XP SP3 systems that are networked and share selected folders.

In the past, accessing a folder on System B from System A (e.g. such as via a My Network Places link), resulted in a Windows userid/password login/popup window, which required valid ogin credentials from System B before access was granted.

This was required exactly once per power-on sequence. Subsequent attempts to access the link bypassed the prompting, and give direct access to the folder.

BTW, I neven checked the "Remember my password" check box, although this is the current behavior I am seeing.

For some reason, the prompting stopped.

My best guess is the prompt is controlled in the Group Policy, but I can't seem to find the correct control to produce the original scenario.

Any help with restoring the prompting, either via Group Policy change, cached check-box value reset, or any other method needed would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Monday, June 11, 2012 11:22 PM

All replies

• Have the permissions for the shared folders been changed?

If the permissions are allowed for the user (or any groups the user might be member of), and the user has logged in to his/her PC, it will not ask for username/password.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 2:19 PM