none
Steady State login problems RRS feed

• Question

• I have a del XPS Gen 4 running on XP SP2 and installed ms win steadystate (SS) from the ms security website - www.microsoft.com/protect/products/computer/default.mspx  As I was installing  SS I was also runing a free spyware tool "SuperAntispyware free eddition".  As the instalation of SS reached the end a message sating that SS will rebooth my PC automatically do not reboth manually, the spyware tool was requesting a system reboth to compleatly remove "threats"...and like a fool I clicked OK for the reboth for the spyware tool.

The system restarted and went into the XP user log on windows.  I have a user set up with password to restrict access to my machine, and tipically the user name and icon display on the log on screen where there is a space to enter the password.  Except this time there were no users shown...I pressed control-alt-del twice and my cardentials were not recognized..... I went for MS free windows tech support 2 times and since than had my win XP repaired reinstalled 2 times.  None of the techs new what win SS was.  The tech suport also add me remove win steady state but nothing worked so far.  I have a feeling from reading responses to other people issues with SS that I am on the wrong path.

So far my machine only allows me to log in as default administrator with blank PW in safe mode, The log in screen looks more like win 98 than XP, but it shows the XP logo, otherwise I get a message stating user account is not available.  I have limited access to my machine since I am not recognazed as the admin.

I am abouth ready to format and start from scratch...but to many unreplasable files in HD.  Suggestions anyone?

andre

Sunday, May 18, 2008 12:48 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Andre, can you temporarily remove SteadyState by using the Administrator account and check the result?

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 3:10 AM
  • I did remove SS under safe mode but to no avail.

I was able to get in as the admin under my user account by using the "net user (name) /active:yes" cmd.  I took the oportunity to xfer all personal files and formated and restored to factory condition. 

I found the cmd that got me in my PC on the previous posted replys to other forum users.

Thank guys.

andre

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 9:24 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Andre, can you temporarily remove SteadyState by using the Administrator account and check the result?

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 3:10 AM
  • I did remove SS under safe mode but to no avail.

I was able to get in as the admin under my user account by using the "net user (name) /active:yes" cmd.  I took the oportunity to xfer all personal files and formated and restored to factory condition. 

I found the cmd that got me in my PC on the previous posted replys to other forum users.

Thank guys.

andre

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 9:24 AM

• help!.................. I have the same problem. My daughter was playing in nickjr.com and suddenly computer crash.
    Sign back in but it said " Steady state and will re-start after upgrading " My password was not recognized. How can I fix this? Is there any easy way? I am not good in Windows....

Thank you kindly for any help...

isabella

Monday, July 28, 2008 11:13 PM