none
Give milestone priority in scheduling RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

In Project 2010, I have a list of tasks (say A,B,C,D) each taking a week, an intermediate milestone which depends on tasks A and C and a completion milestone depending on A,B,C,D. Resource levelling schedules tasks in the order A,B,C,D, making the intermediate milestone complete in three weeks, when it could complete in two.

Is there an easy way to ask Project to optimise for early milestone completion? Or a way to prioritise milestones?

Currently the only way I have found is to give the intermediate milestone AND tasks A & C high priorities. However this isn't at all what I want, as I might shift milestones around and don't want to have to go changing priorities on various tasks.

Thanks,

Sam

Monday, September 19, 2011 9:01 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If your dependencies are set allright, putting a sharp deadline on the intermediate milestone will increase the standard priority of tasks A and C, and do what you want.

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by therealnerd2 Monday, September 19, 2011 10:01 AM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 9:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Sam,

I m sorry but I didn't understand the question, if Task A n B are predecessor for Milestone, then due to leveling based on the Completetion of A,C Milestone will complete; so how would it complete in 2 wks if after leveling A & C may be taking 3 weeks.

You are right that priortizing the task everytime is not a solution; scheduling engine drives the finish date of any task based on the linking so if you feel that a task is delaying a milestone [and you don't want that task to drive finish date of a milestone, why it need to be even linked?] which is not required remove that link.

Other mode could be setting up hard constarins like Must Start on or Must Finish on with dates on this task or milestone.

Sapna S
    Monday, September 19, 2011 9:24 AM
  • Hi,

If your dependencies are set allright, putting a sharp deadline on the intermediate milestone will increase the standard priority of tasks A and C, and do what you want.

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by therealnerd2 Monday, September 19, 2011 10:01 AM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 9:42 AM
  • Hi there,

My problem is the automatic scheduler puts the tasks in order A,B,C,D - so milestone 1 (depending on A & C) completes after three weeks and milestone 2 (depending on A,B,C,D) completes in four weeks.

What I want, is the scheduler to realise a milestone exists on A & C, and to prioritise completion of that milestone over other tasks. In this case, it should schedule the tasks in the order A,C,B,D. Then, milestone 1 would complete after two weeks and milestone 2 after four weeks as before.

There's no link here between A,B,C,D - except they are all using a single resource.

Hopefully that makes more sense.

Monday, September 19, 2011 9:46 AM
  • Hi,

Greetings,

Hi,

Thanks for this. I can't get it to work on my current project but I'll try out some test cases and see if I can see what's going on.

Cheers.

Monday, September 19, 2011 9:52 AM
  • Hi,

Greetings,

Hi,

This worked perfectly in a test case. Still fiddling to see why it doesn't work in the depths of my project, but hopefully that's something simple. Can you think of any complexities of a more complex example that would mean this wouldn't work?

Thanks.

Monday, September 19, 2011 10:02 AM
  • Hi,

If the end milestone makes all tasks critical it won't work. Set the final milestone (by Must Start On for instance) such that B and D have positive Total Slack thus making the deadline for A and C more stringent. Show the total Slack column to see what I mean.

Greetings,

Monday, September 19, 2011 10:47 AM
  • Hi,

If the end milestone makes all tasks critical it won't work. Set the final milestone (by Must Start On for instance) such that B and D have positive Total Slack thus making the deadline for A and C more stringent. Show the total Slack column to see what I mean.

Greetings,

Thanks Jan - I'm not sure if that was my problem or not as I recreated the plan from scratch and it appears fixed.

For anyone else interested in doing this, there appear to be some interesting heuristics used for priority given from the date of the deadline. I started off with two intermediate milestones, and set their deadlines to 1-Sept and 2-Sept respectively. This appeared to work, but then I started noticing some tasks were not getting prioritised quite right between the two milestones. So I changed the deadlines to 1-Jan and 1-Feb and all was well.

Monday, September 19, 2011 12:46 PM