none
Workgroup protection group back from Primary to Secondary DPM 2012 SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have Primary and Secondary DPM 2012 SP1, both are joined to same domain.

Secondary DPM is located in other Location and connected via VPN.

Backup\Replication is working fine from Primary to Secondary DPM.

Now we have one server which is not in domain and its in workgroup. So we have manually installed its agent and configure to backup it from Primary DPM.

Now the problem starts with Secondary DPM and I can not replicate or backup on Secondary Backup.

Is there any way to replicate workgroup protection group to secondary DPM also.

Pls Help.

Thanks.

Sunday, August 25, 2013 12:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You will need to use certificate based authentication(CBA) for the machine in a workgroup and that will work for secondary protection.  However, only File server and Hyper-V protection is supported using CBA.

Certificate-based Authentication for Computers in Untrusted Domains
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh916530.aspx

Setting Up Protection for Computers Using Certificates
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh916524.aspx

Alternately, you could backup that WG data to the cloud instead of secondary DPM server.

Backing Up DPM using Windows Azure Backup
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj728752.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, August 26, 2013 7:26 PM
  • Hi, Mike

Thanks for Reply,

After certifcate authentication, will the replication of workgroup PG works with Primary to Seconday DPM ?

I need to Replicate WorkGroup PG from Primary DPM to Seconday DPM, as I am doing with Domain PG.

If possible is there any steps or can you explain with Examples\Secnarios.

Thanks,

Prakash

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 2:50 PM
  • Hi,

yes, secondary protection will work.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 3:26 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for making things clear.

I have created three Self SSL using makecert.exe and imported using certmgr.msc to Primary, Secondary DPM and PS.

and I am able to take backup at Primary and Secondary DPM.

But, backups taken from Primary and Secondary DPM using certificate authentications are independent with Recovery Point or backup time as compared to backup taken with Domain based PS.

In short, Secondary DPM taking backup at their own time\retention range rather than sync with Primary DPM.

Is there any way to Replicate Workgroup PS from Primary to Secondary as we are doing with Domain based PS.

See the attached image , as I can select any folders from both Primary and Secondary DPM, which is not possible with Domain based PS.

• Edited by p.th Thursday, August 29, 2013 5:21 PM
    Thursday, August 29, 2013 5:12 PM
  • HI,

A few points.

A) Certificate can not be self-signed - that is not supported.
    B) What you have done is enabled scale-out protection which is not supported for any workloads except Hyper-V.

What you need to do is stop protection on the secondary, and protect the primary like you do for domain joined protection.

I would start over by using a certificate from a CA.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2012/04/23/how-to-use-certificates-to-authenticate-computers-in-workgroups-or-untrusted-domains-with-data-protection-manager.aspx

Thursday, August 29, 2013 6:29 PM
  • Hi Mike

A. But I have already configured backup with Self SSL .with DPM 2012 SP1.

B. I have already tried to Protect workgroup from Primary DPM with SSL authentication, but I could not see the workgroup Proection group under Primary DPM when I expand it on Secondary DPM.

Friday, August 30, 2013 5:42 PM