Default file type in Save and Save As RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if in your installations the default file type in "save" and "save as" is now Open Document format (i.e. odt or ods) rather than docx etc. I know how to change it but it seems really strange (unless this is the new direction the Office Suite is taking).

Just a bit of info:

Windows 7

Microsoft Office 2010 Pro Plus (64bit) Trial

Upon start up, I did choose to associate Open Document formats with MS Office (but did not choose to associate xml files).

Regards,

Casey

Friday, May 14, 2010 9:44 AM

Answers

• You get the file format ballot screen on first run. That sets the default file formats for the applications and I think is to preempt any lawsuits to force such a ballot screen to be included later.

If you use ODF file formats you do not get to use all the features of Office 2010 which rely on the OOXML file formats.

OOXML are the native file formats and give the best experience with Office 2010.

ODF files saved from Excel 2007 and 2010 are not compatible with most other implementations of ODF in other applications. The other applications can't read the formulas. Excel uses its own functions and does not try to be compatible with OpenOffice, etc. This is allowed because Excel uses ODF 1.1 which does not define forumlas and functions but leaves it up to the application. OpenOffice now uses ODF 1.2 which does define formulas and functions but is not yet ratified as a standard. Microsoft say they'll update Excel to use ODF 1.2 when it has been ratified.

Simon Jones http://pcpro.co.uk
    • Marked as answer by Casey_boy Saturday, May 15, 2010 9:16 AM
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 9:04 AM

All replies

• You get the file format ballot screen on first run. That sets the default file formats for the applications and I think is to preempt any lawsuits to force such a ballot screen to be included later.

If you use ODF file formats you do not get to use all the features of Office 2010 which rely on the OOXML file formats.

OOXML are the native file formats and give the best experience with Office 2010.

ODF files saved from Excel 2007 and 2010 are not compatible with most other implementations of ODF in other applications. The other applications can't read the formulas. Excel uses its own functions and does not try to be compatible with OpenOffice, etc. This is allowed because Excel uses ODF 1.1 which does not define forumlas and functions but leaves it up to the application. OpenOffice now uses ODF 1.2 which does define formulas and functions but is not yet ratified as a standard. Microsoft say they'll update Excel to use ODF 1.2 when it has been ratified.

• Marked as answer by Casey_boy Saturday, May 15, 2010 9:16 AM
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 9:04 AM
  • Ah I must have misread the start up banner then. I presumed that it asked if I wanted to set MS Office as the default for those file types not the other way round!

I can see lots of documents being saved in the ODF formats now thanks to MS Office 2010. Lol.

Thanks,

Casey

Saturday, May 15, 2010 9:15 AM
  • Must remember to actually read the text in the dialog boxes. <grin>
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 9:19 AM