none
Export to Excel issue after upgrading to IE11 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Our organization recently upgraded our Internet Explorer browser from 8 to 11 on Win7, still in pilot phase.

One of the issues that we are currently experiencing is that after the upgrade  the Export to Microsoft Excel is no longer functioning as expected. This was working fine on IE8.We are on Office 2007.

What happens now on IE11 is that when you select a table on a web-page and do an Export to Excel, a new window pops up and the address bar stays blank with just http:/// and "Page cannot be displayed" error. What's seems to be happening is that for some reason, it is not populating the address bar with the URL.

Anyone experienced similar issues and got a fix? Much appreciated.

Regards,

Ochen
    Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The Office 2003/IE 'Export to Excel' extension is not compatible with Standards compliant web browsers using a Standards rendering...

It uses a javascript method document.selection.... IE11 Standards mode no longer supports document.selection

A workaround is from MS Excel (assuming 2003) is to uses the Data>Import/Export menu to select and inport the table data from a IE hosted web document to within excel.

If you are using a more recent version of Office, you may be able to do a Windows update to receiver an update for that Office extension to IE.

A more complicated workaround is to f12>Emulation tab, choose an emulation mode of IE10 or lower and then use the Office 'Export to exel' context menu extension.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 11:25 PM
  • Hi Ochen,

Is your Windows 32 bit or 64 bit?

Based on what I know, office 2007 32 bit may not support IE 11 64 bit (Here is the requirements for Office 2010). We may consider to take use of F12 tool as Rob suggested, or ask in the Excel forum.

Further, see if this KB would help here:

Nothing happens when you try to use the "Export to Microsoft Excel" command in Internet Explorer

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 20, 2014 7:26 AM

All replies

• Anyone experienced similar issues and got a fix? Much appreciated.

I think you would be more likely to find an answer on an Excel forum.  E.g. more people there who use both products than here.

Otherwise it sounds like you have an incompatible add-on.  Perhaps you would need to find an updated version of one?  To try to find it I would try setting Security Custom settings to Prompt for ActiveX controls but I can't remember if doing that actually gives you a clue about which add-on is to be invoked.  The Prompt facility has always been rather deficient unfortunately.  FWIW, without any other knowledge of your scenario I would run ProcMon to find out what is going on. 

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 5:11 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

The Office 2003/IE 'Export to Excel' extension is not compatible with Standards compliant web browsers using a Standards rendering...

It uses a javascript method document.selection.... IE11 Standards mode no longer supports document.selection

A workaround is from MS Excel (assuming 2003) is to uses the Data>Import/Export menu to select and inport the table data from a IE hosted web document to within excel.

If you are using a more recent version of Office, you may be able to do a Windows update to receiver an update for that Office extension to IE.

A more complicated workaround is to f12>Emulation tab, choose an emulation mode of IE10 or lower and then use the Office 'Export to exel' context menu extension.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 11:25 PM
  • Sorry for not highlighting when i first opened this thread but we are on Office 2007.

Regards,

Ochen

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 9:42 AM
  • Hi Ochen,

Is your Windows 32 bit or 64 bit?

Based on what I know, office 2007 32 bit may not support IE 11 64 bit (Here is the requirements for Office 2010). We may consider to take use of F12 tool as Rob suggested, or ask in the Excel forum.

Further, see if this KB would help here:

Nothing happens when you try to use the "Export to Microsoft Excel" command in Internet Explorer

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 20, 2014 7:26 AM
  • Sorry for not highlighting when i first opened this thread but we are on Office 2007.

Regards,

Ochen

Hi Ochen,

the reason is stil relavent to that Office version (since Office 2007 was release in 2008 ... well before IE10 one and a bit years ago.)

Those Office Addons are built into the Office program files (resource dll's), so they can't be upgraded or that version of Office.

Rob^_^

Thursday, November 20, 2014 8:17 AM
  • I would like to see this issue fixed as well.

Maybe the Office Team and the IE Team can get together to correct each other issues that that are now causing us users. After All they are Both Microsoft are they not?

BTW We are not Mobile users but Desktop users.

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 4:22 PM
  • Please see this plugin.

https://github.com/rainabba/jquery-table2excel

if (msie > 0 || !!navigator.userAgent.match(/Trident.*rv\:11\./))      // If Internet Explorer
    				{
    					if (typeof Blob !== "undefined") {
    						//use blobs if we can
    						tab_text = [tab_text];
    						//convert to array
    						var blob1 = new Blob(tab_text, { type: "text/html" });
    						window.navigator.msSaveBlob(blob1, "download.xls" );
    					} else {
    						txtArea1.document.open("txt/html","replace");
    						txtArea1.document.write(tab_text);
    						txtArea1.document.close();
    						txtArea1.focus(); 
    						sa=txtArea1.document.execCommand("SaveAs",true,"download.xls");
    						return (sa);
    					}
    				}
    				else
    					window.location.href= 'data:application/vnd.ms-excel,' + encodeURIComponent(tab_text);

• Proposed as answer by John E McKee Wednesday, May 17, 2017 1:49 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by John E McKee Wednesday, May 17, 2017 1:49 AM
    Thursday, January 7, 2016 7:21 AM
  • Hi 

I experienced the same problem due to upgrade to IE11.

After searching the web, I found this post:
    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/add-export-to-microsoft-excel-to-the-right-click-menu-in-internet-explorer/

As we are using Excel 2016, I modified the registry key to:

res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\EXCEL.EXE/3000

It now works, not as elegantly as before, but still works.

John 

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 1:55 AM