Users lose all peronalization settings if they do not log in for 48 hours RRS feed

• Question

• I am the admin at a company running a small active directory integrated domain. Specifics are outlined below.

Single Domain in a Single Forest
    Two AD DC's running Server 2008 R2
    Windows XP & Windows 7 environment all running Office 2007
    Folder Redirection is applied to My Documents & Desktop only.

We recently upgraded 9 machines to Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. After formatting the machines, we logged the users in and setup their outlook and imported their favorites. Everything was fine until the Monday after the first weekend. Any user on a Windows 7 machine who had not logged in over the weekend were missing all their personalization settings. This included their outlook data file mgmt (running Outlook takes you to the setup screen). We have been able to consistently reproduce this problem but cannot find a solution. This is specific only to the Windows 7 machines not XP.

Here is what we have tried so far:

This solution suggests they are logging in as a temp user.
    www.sysprobs.com/fix-temporary-profile-windows-7
    When we looked at the fix there is no listing of .bak files under the profilelist (neither 32bit folder or in Wow6432bit Node)

Another forum suggested that login batch files applied by AD could be causing the issue.
    I checked and we have users experiencing this issue who do not have any custom settings regarding their profile, excluding a printer drivers GPO, and My documents & Desktop redirection.

Again this is occurring on all our Windows 7 machines, none of the XP machines and is reproducible.

Any help is greatly appreciated

• Edited by Ryan Ritchie Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:29 PM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Did you use roaming profiles for these Windows 7?

Since all Windows 7 machine has this issue, the problem should be related with your AD or GPO settings. Try to turn off Folder Redirection on Windows 7 for test. Furthermore, you can also leave the domain, let Windows 7 work alone to check if the same issue occurs.

In addition, I suggest to contact Server Forum for further help:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsserver

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, January 19, 2012 1:28 AM
    Friday, January 13, 2012 7:05 AM
  • We have confirmed the issue is in fact related to the domain. I have re-posted the issue with additional steps we have taken here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/ffe9c573-1030-4536-b0da-5d1588a5dbcb

Thanks for pointing me to the correct place to post.

• Marked as answer by Ryan Ritchie Monday, January 23, 2012 8:22 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2012 8:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you use roaming profiles for these Windows 7?

Since all Windows 7 machine has this issue, the problem should be related with your AD or GPO settings. Try to turn off Folder Redirection on Windows 7 for test. Furthermore, you can also leave the domain, let Windows 7 work alone to check if the same issue occurs.

In addition, I suggest to contact Server Forum for further help:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsserver

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, January 19, 2012 1:28 AM
    Friday, January 13, 2012 7:05 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for responding!

I posted in the Windows 7 area because we did not believe it was related to being enrolled in a domain.

We made that decision for two reasons. We disabled all GPs for the users and still could reproduce the issue. AND there are no access/privilege/other errors in the eventmgr.......

I will remove the machine from the domain, if that resolves the issue I will re-post in the windows server category & link the re-post here/close this issue.

Thanks!

Saturday, January 14, 2012 7:35 PM
  • Hi,

If you have tried remove the PC from the domain, please feel free to let know if it can resolve the issue.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Monday, January 16, 2012 1:29 AM
  • We have confirmed the issue is in fact related to the domain. I have re-posted the issue with additional steps we have taken here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/ffe9c573-1030-4536-b0da-5d1588a5dbcb

Thanks for pointing me to the correct place to post.

• Marked as answer by Ryan Ritchie Monday, January 23, 2012 8:22 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2012 8:22 PM