none
split tasks in PWA, Project server 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I create a task XYZ and assign it to staff A, then staff A want to split it to 3 sub tasks. 

But while A opened task XYZ , I cannot found any button to split it.  

I know I can do like this:

Let A to config schedule directly->up task XYZ's level -> and sub tasks.

Is there any other simple solution?  

Jou Chen

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 8:39 AM

Answers

• Hi Jou Chen,

1- This is NOT an error. Project does not have a feature which allows splitting a main task into several sub-tasks. This is not a bug, this is just something the tool does not do. You have to do it manually unless you are willing to create complex custom code.

2- good!

3- it dépends on how important the WBS column is to you. From my point of view, this is just an infromation which is unrelevant in most of the cases. I would just not consider it. But if you do, yes indeed you can delete the task (unless it has assignments with actuals on it) and create it at the right place with the right WBS.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

• Marked as answer by Jou Chen Thursday, May 21, 2015 7:52 AM
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 5:29 AM

All replies

• Jou Chen --

As the project manager, the simple solution is for you to handle this matter.  Here is what you should do:

1. Remove staff A from the task XYZ.
    2. Insert three blank rows immediately below task XYZ and give each task a name.
    3. Specify Duration values for the three new tasks and set dependencies on the new tasks.
    4. Indent the three new tasks to make task XYZ a summary task.
    5. Assign staff A to the three new tasks.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 12:35 PM
  • Hi Dale,

The questions is I don't know the detail, just know A's team (A is the responsible) can do it in 3 days. So I assign it to A  with main task :xyz, and give him 3 days. 

And staff A need split it to detail . A will split it to 3 tasks.  And arrange person to finish it.  

Jou Chen

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 2:02 AM
  • Hi Jou Chen,

As Dale said, there is no automatic way to split a main task into 3 sub-tasks since Project doesn't know the sub-task détails. I could also suggest that you first create a manual task entering the few détails you might have, then let A create the sub-tasks:

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 8:29 AM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for reply. Here I face 3 questions stopped me

1/ while sub-task been created, main task(XYZ)'s resource Name cannot be moved, how to deal with it? 

2/ In webpage of 'schedule ' , I know I can insert a line and add sub-tasks.  This means my staff:A must have the access right to config on schedule.

Can he just view 'my assignments' in Tasks, and then open the task and split it? Like 'add a new task'  , and select main task : XYZ  (xyz is not a lowest task now)?

3/ Buy the way, on webpage 'schedule' , can staff A edit WBS? I added WBS column, but failed to edit, it is grey. 

Jou Chen

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 6:05 AM
  • Hi Jou Chen,

1-This is the normal behavior. A summary task (main task) is not a task/activity itself which resources will work on. This is just a consolidation of sub-activities. This is why main tasks inherit automatically the consolidated durations, works, actuals, dates... of sub-tasks. However this is for automatic scheduling. From Project Server 2010, manually scheduling has been introduce to give more control, typically for your use case. Using manually scheduled task for the main task, you can break the inheritance and enter your own parameter for the summary task. Look at the example below where the 2 sub tasks are automatically scheduled and the main task manually. You can see that you can see a thin bar for the inheritance but that I specified my own finish date which doesn't correspond to the sub task finish date.

2- Indeed if you do need that Staff A updates the project plan, either from PWA or Project Pro, he needs to have access right to the project plan. The "my tasks" page is not intended to allow staff members adding tasks to the schedule but to enter task progress. You might create a new group with more restricted access, however note that if a staff member can access a project plan, he can access and update ALL the tasks in the project plan (unless of course you restrict their access to PWA, create a specific filtered view that you associate to their category).

3-Indeed the WBS column in PWA/Schedule cannot be edited. But note that when you'll create a new task and indent it correctly, the WBS value will get updated accordingly.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 7:20 AM
  • Hi Guillaume,

1/  "A summary task (main task) is not a task/activity itself which resources will work on.  This is just a consolidation of sub-activities. "  I can understand it, and it should no resource be written.  But here, how can I moved the resource  be assigned while subtasks be created.

You know , if I didn't clear it,  the resource report will have some issue, like all subtasks plan working hours will all be added to Staff A.  

What I can do is delete the old one and create a new main task. But it looks not make sense.

2/  Actually, what I need is ,use prj to manage the tasks status. 

I set a main task -->  Staff A split the tasks under main, and assign it to A/B/C --> A/B/C write down actual working hours --> I can count everyone's working hours, resource available,  and know the tasks status everyday.  I am not care Staff A can edit schedule or not, If he need, I can give him access right. 

Any good work round?

3/ Is there a way edit WBS, no matter schedule or not? 

Jou Chen

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 6:55 AM
  • Hi Jou Chen,

1- There is no automatic way to move th resource from the main task to the sub tasks while created. This should be a manually operation in the project plan.

2- Your process looks good. To achieve it, you have to give access to the staff to the project plan. Them the resources A, B and C will access and update with actual work their assignments through the task or timesheet page in PWA.

3- The WBS is automatically created when you create a new task, either from PWA or Project Pro. If a user needs to modify this WBS, it has to be done with Project Pro, it is not possible through PWA.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 7:07 AM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for your quick reply, it help me a lot. 

1/ 'This should be a manually operation in the project plan.'  How to manually fix it, delete it and create a new item?  For me , it is how to fix the exist error.

2/  Now I known what shall I do , add the access right to A for edit schedule, and let him clear the main task's resource name, and then split tasks in schedule.

3/  Most of our user now just use PWA,  so the easiest way is delete it and rewrite it at the right place. Am I right? 

Jou Chen

Thursday, May 21, 2015 1:35 AM
  • Hi Jou Chen,

1- This is NOT an error. Project does not have a feature which allows splitting a main task into several sub-tasks. This is not a bug, this is just something the tool does not do. You have to do it manually unless you are willing to create complex custom code.

2- good!

3- it dépends on how important the WBS column is to you. From my point of view, this is just an infromation which is unrelevant in most of the cases. I would just not consider it. But if you do, yes indeed you can delete the task (unless it has assignments with actuals on it) and create it at the right place with the right WBS.

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by Jou Chen Thursday, May 21, 2015 7:52 AM
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 5:29 AM
  • Thanks for your Detail explain. 

Now I know what I will face and the work round .  

Jou Chen

Thursday, May 21, 2015 7:57 AM