RAID 5 on Win 7 Disk Failure RRS feed

• Question

• I had a three-disk (Seagate 500GB) RAID 5 array in XP that I upgraded to WIN 7 Pro and everything worked fine till one of the 500 GB Seagate Barracudea drives on Port 02 went bad, or so I thought.  Geek Squad said disk was OK and readable.  I bought a new disk anyway, installed it, the Intel disk manager rebuilt the array and all was fine.  However, it happened again today.  The system recovers but says the array needs to have another disk installed. It won't boot up unless the drive on Port 02 is removed.  In fact putting the drive in any of the Ports prevents booting. Why does the drive on Port 02 keep "failing"?  Is it true that Win 7 doesn't support Raid 5?  It does for a couple of days!

System Specs:  Windows 7 Pro SP-1; RAID 5-(3x 500Gb Seagate Barracuda SATA) – (3) 1T Seagate Barracuda SATA;  Intel Quad Core i7 860, 2.8 GHz; Gigabyte P55A-UD4P R1;  8 Gb Corsair DDR3; nVidia Quadro FX 4600; 2x LG Super Multi-Blue BD, 2x Pioneer DVR-118L; Corsair TX850 PS; Zalman Aluminum Case

Friday, May 6, 2011 5:48 PM

Answers

• The Professional/Enterprise/Ultimate editions of Windows 7 officially support the following dynamic disk modes:
     •Simple
     •Spanned
     •Striped (RAID-0)
     •Mirrored (RAID-1)

The software based striped volume with parity (Raid-5) is not supported in Windows 7. However, Windows 7 do support hardware-based RAID using a hardware raid controller. This is by design according to Microsoft Technet Forums and considering that hardware-based RAID performs much better and has additional features,

Only a hardware-based RAID installation is supported with Windows 7.  You'll need to download the RAID drive controller drivers from your motherboard's support web site.

REF: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/d4d38790-7532-4426-a911-37dc3f9fb9ca

Ketan Thakkar | Microsoft Online Community Support
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Thursday, May 26, 2011 8:38 AM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:03 PM

All replies

• The Professional/Enterprise/Ultimate editions of Windows 7 officially support the following dynamic disk modes:
     •Simple
     •Spanned
     •Striped (RAID-0)
     •Mirrored (RAID-1)

The software based striped volume with parity (Raid-5) is not supported in Windows 7. However, Windows 7 do support hardware-based RAID using a hardware raid controller. This is by design according to Microsoft Technet Forums and considering that hardware-based RAID performs much better and has additional features,

Only a hardware-based RAID installation is supported with Windows 7.  You'll need to download the RAID drive controller drivers from your motherboard's support web site.

REF: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/d4d38790-7532-4426-a911-37dc3f9fb9ca

• Marked as answer by Miya Yao Thursday, May 26, 2011 8:38 AM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:03 PM
  • Thanks Ketan, but why does it still work, if only for a while? 

Also, are you saying it WILL work, if I downlaod an updated driver from Gigabyte for Win 7?  Or are you saying it won't work at all unless I buy RAID 5 hardware?

Omega

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 7:06 PM
  • This is not an OS level issue. When the drive falls out of a raid set that was created at the hardware level then you will need to work with the hardware vendor

Can you share some events when the disk went offline?

Friday, May 20, 2011 2:08 PM