How to remove mailbox database with Mailbox inside.......Forcefully...Exchange 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Experts,

I have a mailbox SG with Mailbox database attached to it.

The database was attached to SG due to some recovery process and now it is in "Dismounted" status.

Unfortunately it was having a Single mailbox. Also Currently the mailbox\ User related to this mailbox is still in production.

So while trying to remove the Database I am getting usual error " This mailbox databse contains one more mailbox in it"

I cannot disable the mailbox as the same mailbox user is in production

So how can I forcefully remove this mailbos database which is attached due to some recovery problem

manju

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:52 AM

Answers

• Dears,

I found that the user inside the DB was not used for a long peeriod. Hence I disabled the user and deleted the DB without any hiccup.

But due to this error I learnt that the DB can be forcibly removed using ADSIT and other options as well,

Manju

Monday, January 23, 2012 7:53 AM

All replies

• There are still Arbitration mailboxes contained. After removing those, you can delete the DB by the following way:

1. Run Get-Mailbox –Database DBName–Arbitration | Remove-Mailbox –RemoveLastArbitrationMailboxAllowed:$True
    2. Run Remove-MailboxDatabase -Identity DBName -RemoveLastArbitrationMailboxAllowed:$True
    3. Confirm your action when EMS asks you to do so and you are done

Regards from www.windowsadmin.info | www.blog.windowsadmin.info
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 11:50 AM
  • Hi,

Any update on this issue?

Besides ManU, you can delete mailbox database using ADSIEDIT tool, which you can refer to the following:

<1> Run ADSIEDIT.MSC, expand the following node in Configuration container.
    CN=Configuration, DC=<Domain Name>, DC=COM |CN=Services |CN=Microsoft Exchange |CN=<Name Of Exchange Org> |CN=Administrative Groups |CN=Exchange Administrative Group |CN=Servers |CN=<Name of Exchange 2007 Server> |CN=Information Store| CN=<Name of storage group> |CN=<Name of mailbox database Store>
    <2> In the left pane, right-click the mailbox database store and delete it.
    <3>Logon to the Exchange server again and Restart the Microsoft Exchange System Attendant service.

Hope it helps.

Thanks

Sophia Xu

TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 13, 2012 2:11 AM
  • Dear Sophia, Xu,

Will this ADSI EDIT method is there any side effect i mean, will the entry removed formally?

Or do I need to do any other modification.?

manju
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:00 AM
  • Hi,

After you use ADSIEDIT tool to delete mailbox databse, you don't need to modify others.

Thanks

Sophia Xu

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 8:13 AM
  • Dears,

I found that the user inside the DB was not used for a long peeriod. Hence I disabled the user and deleted the DB without any hiccup.

But due to this error I learnt that the DB can be forcibly removed using ADSIT and other options as well,

Manju

Monday, January 23, 2012 7:53 AM