none
Reactivate Windows Server

Question

• Hi,

I have something to ask regarding Windows Server activation. I think it is some easy question.

Currently my customer wanted to buy a secondary server for backup which also means that the server will leave it for not running and due to that the buying another license for it is another cost.

I would like to know is it possible that the current server Windows Server license able to migrate to the backup server if there is anything happened on the current server.

The current server and backup server specification is identical.

Thank You

Regards,

Yong

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 2:54 AM

All replies

• Assuming a retail or volume license, yes you can transfer it.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 3:15 AM
  • Hi,

Please refer to the software license terms to determine whether you may transfer a software license to another computer. When it is allowed, the product must first be removed from the previous computer. You may be required to complete the activation process on the new computer by contacting the Activation Center.

If activation is required, you will be presented with the Activation Wizard which will walk you through the activation process.

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 3:52 AM
  • Hi,

What if I just take out the hard disk from the running server to backup server? Will the Windows still activated or I need to reactivate?

Thank You

Regards,

Yong

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 9:43 AM
  • If the hardware hash component value changes enough then you may have to reactivate.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 12:11 PM
  • Hi,

There is a detailed article for you:

Windows Activation - How it Works and How it Breaks

https://www.pcsteps.com/4484-how-windows-activation-works/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    Best Regards,

Frank

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, May 24, 2018 2:58 AM
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

Friday, May 25, 2018 8:12 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? 

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Monday, May 28, 2018 8:09 AM