none
Project 10 - Resource custom fields RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Project 10.

I have a custom resource text field.  When I am NOT in any kind of a resource view but rather a Task View (Gantt chart) is there any way of displaying that resource Text Field?  

I have developed a WBS in a Custom Task Text Field.  I am trying to be able to show WBS number on the resource usage view.  Only way so far that I can figure to do that is a manual process of inputting all those numbers while in the resource usage view.

Anyone help please?

Penny

• Moved by Max Meng Friday, March 2, 2012 5:05 AM Moving to a more appropriate forum (From:Office 2010 Application Compatibility)
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 4:49 PM

Answers

• Just adding my $0.02.  I usually repurpose an existing Resource field.  There're about 4-5 that do get moved over to the Task View:

Resource Name

Resource Initials

Resource Phonetics

Resource Group

...maybe something else.  Just use one of those.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 1:45 PM

All replies

• Penny,

The default WBS field (task field) is customizable/editable by the user...not sure if you were aware of that... and you can insert the WBS field in the Resource Usage view.  You have to edit the field in a task view and it is automatically updated in the Resource Usage view.

Regards,

Friday, March 2, 2012 5:50 AM
  • Hi,

in addition to Greg's idea of using a default field, which will be available, there something important for your fields:

A task field cannot be displayed in any resource view by default and a resource field can not be displayed in a task view. But, you can achieve what you want when using a macro. Define your fields with option "Roll down unless manually entered". Create a correspondig field for the other entity, which to same option. Then use a macro to copy values of task field from assignment level to the corresponding resource field on assignment level. Have a look at http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm,  #37 for a code sample.

Good luck!
    Barbara

Friday, March 2, 2012 7:36 AM
  • As it happens you don't need the Macro. Once the roll down option is set as Barbara suggests, a Resource custom field rolls down automatically in the Resource Usage View.

A Task custom field will roll down automatically in a Task Usage View.

However if you want a resource custom field in teh task Usage view or a Task custom field in the Resource Usage View you do need a VBA macro.

In Task Views such as the Gantt Chart, you can See Resource Name, Resource Initials and Resource Group felds. So if you don't need resource initials or group, re-use them for your custom data.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management

Saturday, March 3, 2012 8:41 PM
  • Thank you for the information Barbara.

I have looked through all 3 replies that I received to this question and I am a bit fuzzy about where to go from here.

I did understand Greg's idea about the use of the default WBS field.

I did figure out where to mark the "roll down unless manually entered".

I have entered a customized task field called "Custom WBS" and also a customized resource field called "Custom WBS".

When I enter my WBS in on a gantt view that same custom field appears on the task usage view and is populated.

I copied the referenced macro's into my schedule and ran them both.

So where I am stumped is that the "Custom WBS" field on the resource usage is not populating.

I was successful using the suggestion from Rod to use a resource initial field to put my "Custom WBS" data into. I could see the data then on the resource usage and the task usage page.  The problem with this is that for whatever reason I do not know it changed my durations unless I made the default set as "manually schedule".

I would like to learn more about the macro piece of this.  I am assuming, if I have read this through correctly that w/the macros in place I should then be able to see the "Custom WBS" data that is in place in the task usage now in the resource usage???

Any suggestions for me?

Thanks.

Monday, March 12, 2012 8:13 PM
  • Hi,

The macro copies A task text field to A resource text field independent of the name of the field. In the macro you have to decide which of the text fields.

I hope you are aware that in the macro you have to use the original name (f.i. Text23) and not the friendly name ("Custom WBS" ?)

Greetings,

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:39 AM
  • Hi Penny,

Welcome to this Microsoft Project newsgroup :-)

You might like to see FAQ Item: 37 - Custom Fields in Tables.  FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be seen at this web address:http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm

Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on :-)

Mike Glen
    Project MVP (97-11)
    See http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 11:01 AM
  • Just adding my $0.02.  I usually repurpose an existing Resource field.  There're about 4-5 that do get moved over to the Task View:

Resource Name

Resource Initials

Resource Phonetics

Resource Group

...maybe something else.  Just use one of those.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 1:45 PM
  • Thank you for that information.  I think that solves some portion of the problem.  I am not getting the entire field copied over just portions of it.

I am attributing that to the fact that the resource view and the task view cannot be lined up in the exact order??  The macro makes reference to task ID.  Would that be UID or row ID?

Then I thought I would use the same macro to transfer all the UID's over but I can't imagine how it could line them up with the tasks when the two views are not lined up in the same order...

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Penny

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 1:56 PM
  • Okay thank you Andrew.  I am trying that but..... I have resource name and initials populated, phonetics and groups will not allow me to copy a UID number into the field.  Now if I go ahead and use the resource initial column to copy my UIDs over so I have them on the resource side it moves dates around...

???

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 2:21 PM
  • Please re-post if this is still an issue, or mark it as answered.

Mike Glen

MVP Project (97 - 11)

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 4:55 PM
  • I am finding myself with the same need of pulling custom Resource fields into a Task view. Have there been any other solutions and or new features in 2013 that address this other than repurposing existing Resource fields or creating a Macro to cross populate?

This seems like a rather important feature.

-andrew

Sunday, November 11, 2012 10:24 PM
  • Andrew --

No, there is no new functionality in Microsoft Project 2013 that will solve your problem.  Sorry.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Sunday, November 11, 2012 11:33 PM