none
Remote Desktop loses it's default printer intermittently. (In remote session) RRS feed

• Question

• We're using a Server 2008 r2 Terminal server environment.

I have one particular user (running windows 7 64bit) who's having an issue with a HP laserjet 400 M401 printer. She connects with her local printer set to follow her to the remote session but randomly through her session, programs like word or adobe reader will pull up another random printer in our network instead of her local one.

For instance, today she pulled up a .pdf and it defaulted to one printer across the complex, then later within the same session she pulled up a Wordperfect document and it defaulted to a copier on the other side of the office.

She's the only person having this particular issue. So far my IT manager rebuilt her local profile (albeit sometime back) and I reinstalled drivers but I'm a bit stumped on which direction to take with this one.

I've ideated on it being an issue with USB cables, Printer memory, account data related, or maybe bandwidth?
    Any help is appreciated.
    -Eric

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 4:47 PM

All replies

• To me, it sounds like it could be a connection issue. When Windows loses a connection to the default printer, even for a second, it defaults to another printer. I would check the connection to the printer. 

Also, i know you tried re-installing the drivers, was that the printer drivers? Are you going into print management and removing the printer (and the associated port)? I would try completely re-installing that printer.

Don't forget to mark the post that solved your issue as "Answered." By marking the Answer you are enabling users with similar issues to find what helped you. Lewis Renwick - IT Professional

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 5:03 PM
  • I removed the printer locally (as in right clicked and clicked remove device), downloaded the drivers and reinstalled them, restarted, etc.  For the port, I assume you mean deleted the virtual printer port under printer properties? I did not do that.

Should I completely redo the driver installation process and remove the port as well? If so, is there an ideal process or can I just nuke it. 
    In regards to it being a connection issue, she's never had problems with her actual remote session dropping connection or white screening. I'd imagine if this was connection related that'd be dropping as well. Which was kinda pushing me towards it being a printer issue a la the usb cables; It's not a networked printer.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 5:26 PM
  • This link has the instructions on what I am describing to do on your Windows 7 Machine: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd759119.aspx

What I am suggesting is nuking the ports, as you put it. You will open print management from the windows 7 machine to do this. Afterwards, reinstall the printer. Also, have you tried a different USB cable for the connection and/or a new port or the cable to plug into?

Don't forget to mark the post that solved your issue as "Answered." By marking the Answer you are enabling users with similar issues to find what helped you. Lewis Renwick - IT Professional

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 6:42 PM
  • So I took to her office and replaced her USB & ethernet cable. I got a bit more of information regarding the issue as well.

The issue only happens in the remote environment(w2008 r2),  if she disconnects and works locally, the problem is nil. From what I was able to glean, the printer seems to always return back to being the default printer; if you close a program that wasn't properly loading a printer before and reopen it, it has a chance of just simply loading properly. 

______

I'll converse with my boss about deleting the port. I don't have access to make changes.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 8:14 PM
  • Hi,

"The issue only happens in the remote environment(w2008 r2)"

Did you mean that this problem only occures when remote to Windows 2008R2 from her Windows 7 client? If that it is, is there any progress about this problem now?

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 17, 2014 3:36 AM
  • Did you ever find a solution for this?  We are having the same issue!  Have several users that throughout the day their print jobs get sent to other printers that they usually are not connected to.
    Wednesday, February 11, 2015 3:48 PM
  • We are also having a similar issue. A couple users are losing the connection to their printer while using the remote desktop. If they log off and log back in the printer comes back. The printer is connected via USB and they don't have the issue in their local computer. Only when connected to the remote. 

The remote is Windows Server 2008 R2. 

Thursday, June 15, 2017 6:50 PM