none
Staff Augmentation Project & Timesheet (Project Server 2013) RRS feed

• Question

• My company plans to implement Timesheet functionality.  We are a consulting firm and have basically two types of projects.  Company lead projects in which a detailed project schedule is built and managed.  The second type of projects are staff augmentation projects in which a person or group of individuals are contracted out to a company for a period of time.  The amount of work they do is variable.   In these type of projects, the plan is to create one task per person in the project schedule so they can enter their time in timesheet.  The problem I'm experiencing is how to set up the task so that actual work can fluctuate, future work remains at 8 hours a day and the end date remains the same. 

The reason I want it to work this way is for resource planning.  For resource planning purposes, the individuals need to show for future dates, 8 hours a day until the end of the contract. 

* If I use fixed work and a person takes a vacation or works less than 40 hours per week, the end date of the task is extended. 
    * If I use fixed duration and a person takes a vacation or works less than 40 hours per week, the work not completed during that time is added to future dates so it shows the person working more than 8 hours a day.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Edited by Debbie Barnes Sunday, March 30, 2014 10:20 AM Added Clarification
    Sunday, March 30, 2014 10:08 AM

All replies

• Debbie,

This is a common issue with these kind of plans. The plan constantly needs to be maintained.

My suggestion is to separate out "Planned" vs "Actual work" tracking.

1) For Planned work, use a "Resource Plan" instead of the task you have in the schedule. More info here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2007/02/21/resource-plans-explained-i-hope.aspx)

2) For actual work tracking, timesheet, leave the task you have in the schedule as it is. 

3) Leave your capacity calculation to be from the Resource Plan, since your resource forecast is constant, and is not affected by actual work.

4) run a report against Resource Plan Work and Actual Work.

Seems like a complicated approach, but should be easy when you actually do it. 

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Monday, March 31, 2014 5:26 AM
  • Debbie --

There is no way to accomplish 100% of what you want to do.  Using a Fixed Duration task is the closest that you can come to your goal.  You have already correctly stated the limitations of using Fixed Duration.  The misconception about using a Fixed Duration task is that it fixes the Finish date of the task, which is not true.  It fixes the Duration value, not the Finish date.  What you CAN do, however, is to plan your project and then to save a Baseline for the project.  This will capture the original planned work of 8 hours per day on each task.  Beyond this, you my need to do occasional adjustment of the Work for each resource on each task to keep the Remaining Work in the range of 8 hours per day.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, March 31, 2014 1:27 PM
  • I've attempted to try this out, but the information I add to the resource plan (proposed or committed) doesn't seem to affect my resource availability.

Here's my resource plan that has been saved and published

However, when I look at my resource availability, it still shows available all 3 weeks.

I also tried using Booking Type of proposed and selecting Include proposed bookings check box, but that didn't affect availability either.

Please advise.

Debbie Barnes

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 5:24 PM
  • Hi Debbie,

Note that in the resource plan, you have to specify how Project will calculate the capacity. The resource plan and the project plan are meant to be complementary in term of capacit calculation.

• from the project plan: Project will consider assignments in the project plan only 
    • from the resource plan: Project will consider assignments in the resource plan (often used at project start when you've just planned your needs in the resource plan, but still don't have plan anything in the project plan)
    • From the project plan from...: Project will consider assignments in the project plan up to the date specified, then in the resource plan after this date (when you just plan for example the capacity for the first year in the project plan, then the long term capacity is planned in the resource plan)

In case you didn't correctly set this parameter, your resource plan workload might not be taken into account in the availability.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 5:36 PM