none
How and where does Sharepoint store the users files? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Community

Excel file, Word files, ASP.Net files etc are created by Sharepoint users.

What files gets stored on the Sharepoint SQL Database server?

What files gets stored on the WFE?

What files gets stored on the Application Server?

Do files get stored on the Exchanges Server?

Which servers are the ones where most free disk space is needed to store these files?

Thank you
        Shabeaut

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:40 PM

Answers

• All documents and content that users upload into SharePoint are stored in the databases hosted in the SQL Server instance connected to the farm. When you create a SharePoint web application, a SQL Server database (referred to in SharePoint terminology as a content database) is connected to that web application. Site collections and all their contents are stored in those content databases. No files uploaded by a user into SharePoint are stored on the SharePoint server, unless it is also hosting the farm's SQL Server instance.

SharePoint's search functionality leverages a combination of database storage and local file storage on the SharePoint servers to build its indices to respond to search queries with. If you're running Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007, the server assigned the Index server role stores two copies of the index file on its hard drive (1 that it is currently writing to and 1 that is read-only). If a server other than the Index server is assigned a Query role in the farm, it also receives a copy of that read-only index that it uses to serve up query responses.

SharePoint's application and templates files are installed on all SharePoint servers, but these files are not installed on SQL Server.

By default SharePoint will not impact storage on a server running Exchange, unless you directly install SharePoint on that server. There are ways to integrate SharePoint with Exchange, but those are special cases rather than the norm.

To start to understand SharePoint capacity planning, I'd strongly recommend that you take a look at this TechNet Resource Center: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/sharepointserver/bb736741. For very relevant information on planning storage allotment for SharePoint, you definitely need to take a very close look at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc298801%28office.12%29.aspx, there is a great deal of important information in there as well as data on how you can calculate storage used by SharePoint for content, search, and much more.

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.
    • Proposed as answer by Marijn SomersMVP Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Shabeaut Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:06 PM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:46 PM