Media Center has stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• I've had Vista installed for almost a month now and now I get:
    "Media Center has stopped working   A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

Apparently there is no solution because I get no contact. Anyway, no drivers, at least none that I can recall, have been loaded; however, I have loaded some additional software which I'm sure I've installed, but cannot recall which. But, I've installed nothing that I can think of that would interfere with Media Center.

And, when I 'Close Program', I get no other information, so Media Center fails to run all together.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions of what I might check or reinstall, please let me know. I have cleaned up my startup programs and uninstalled a few things, but I still get this problem on a clean boot.

Thanks,
    David
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 2:14 AM

All replies

• I'm having this exact same problem. I was using it fine earlier today to setup a new TV tuner that I got, and now whenever I launch WMC I get the error "Media center has stopped working." Then it closes and I can't do anything. I've been searching all over for troubleshootin info, but cannot find anything on how to fix this. I've also disabled all startup items, etc. to try and get it back, but to no avail.

• Proposed as answer by Rajeev Mahtab Sunday, June 6, 2010 6:51 PM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 2:14 AM
  • I can provide assistacne to  thses issues. visit this link where you can find resolve to media canter. post the problem their and one of our techncal support agen will be able to help you. http://signpark.proboards81.com/index.cgi?board=windows 

This kind of problem can be resolved  and I may can help. But I nedd more information from you.

I would like to know when was the first time this problem started. and please do not install or do anything more to the PC untill we speak again.

I may can help you find the problem and get your PC back up and running. visit the link and sign in to find support help.    I have already helped a few and I can now help you. each time I find a work around I post the results to the technical board and they worked for men Visit.

Thnak you.

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 2:24 AM
  • If you look in the Event Viewer - do any of the Media center services stop?

I found my problem was related to the log on credentials of one of the services, it was set to "network" and when i changed it to log on teh service as an admin, i stopped having this (and other) media center problems.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 6:51 PM
  • Make a new user as admin. Vista got a problem with the admin settings from the beginning when you install it so just make a new user and it will work there...

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 5:00 PM
  • Hi All

I know your posts here are fairly old (ie over a year) but I only encountered the same Media Center issue as you guys last week.

I followed the Microsoft official blurb in regards to this (by reinstating all Vista files via sfc /scannow) however I found that the issue for me was a corrupted media center dll (ehiextcom.dll) and I had to find the version on the web that sfc was reporting it couldn't reinstate (I got it from here http://www.pchelphq.com/index.php?autocom=dll_database&code=view_dll&view_dll=1491). Once I copied that across to the media center ehome directory (as shown in sfc) it allowed media center to start up again! The only issue is that it didn't have its station settings and I had to scan for channels again, but at least it working again.

Now I'm buggered as to what caused this dll to get corrupted as nothing had been installed on this laptop (apart from MS updates and security fixes) so unless it was one of them?? Who knows. Either way, once I got that dll across and all was well after that.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Jangles
    Monday, October 27, 2008 4:31 AM
  •  Jangles_in_Oz wrote:
    Hi All

I know your posts here are fairly old (ie over a year) but I only encountered the same Media Center issue as you guys last week.

I followed the Microsoft official blurb in regards to this (by reinstating all Vista files via sfc /scannow) however I found that the issue for me was a corrupted media center dll (ehiextcom.dll) and I had to find the version on the web that sfc was reporting it couldn't reinstate (I got it from here http://www.pchelphq.com/index.php?autocom=dll_database&code=view_dll&view_dll=1491). Once I copied that across to the media center ehome directory (as shown in sfc) it allowed media center to start up again! The only issue is that it didn't have its station settings and I had to scan for channels again, but at least it working again.

Now I'm buggered as to what caused this dll to get corrupted as nothing had been installed on this laptop (apart from MS updates and security fixes) so unless it was one of them?? Who knows. Either way, once I got that dll across and all was well after that.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Jangles

And I tried your recommendation, didn't work...tried this one too.

Error message on a Windows Vista-based computer that is running Windows Media Center: "Media Center has stopped working"

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/947464/en-us/

Windows Media Center works fine until I use the Guide, then it stops working, and restarts, which seems to be common after reading several similar topics. My workaround is to right-click its icon on the Start Menu, select and click Run As Administrator to keep it from crashing, then WMC and the Guide works.

But the moment I use it as a normal user without my workaround, the moment I start looking at the Guide, then it crashes; if I don't look at the Guide, it doesn't crash. I've tried recommendations to delete a file in the Media Store folder but the crash persists.

Windows Media Center
    Version 6.0.6001.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840)
    HP a6110n
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.30 GHz
    Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1250 (Model 79xxx, Hybrid ATSC/QAM)
    NVidia GeForce 8600 GT

Friday, November 21, 2008 9:05 AM
  • This was the fix...many thanks.
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 6:57 AM
  • Hello I am having a few problems as well, now the MC will crash if I try to record a show or pre record one. It has given me this error in the event manager and also mcudate.ete error but it also show in the event manager that the guide listing are updated still but it just quit recording the shows a few days ago.  I have tried many things to fix it a system restore, scan disk, update and more but nothing seems to work. I have an HP Pavilion m9515y that is new and I have had many problems with the MC in the past but it has been working until a few days ago.  I can still watch shows on it ones that were previously recorded and live, but it will not let me record or advanced record with out it crashing.  Thank you for any help that you can give me.  As most of you know Best Buy where I bought it will not help [it is under warranty, or even HP] they all want to blame each other or the cable service provider or Microsoft so I am stuck to try to fix this on my own.
    Again Thank you
    Monday, September 7, 2009 6:06 PM
  • exes5...........yes to the question about event viewer, I did try that, as well as trying to change the network [but was unable too, maybe I need to make a user id?].
    Here are some of the problems that I am having if you would have time to reply, I have posted this a few times on this site, I am new to this type of forum so I apologise for too many posts.

Hello I am having a few problems as well, now the MC will crash if I try to record a show or pre record one. It has given me this error in the event manager and also mcudate.ete error but it also show in the event manager that the guide listing are updated still but it just quit recording the shows a few days ago.  I have tried many things to fix it a system restore, scan disk, update and more but nothing seems to work. I have an HP Pavilion m9515y that is new and I have had many problems with the MC in the past but it has been working until a few days ago.  I can still watch shows on it ones that were previously recorded and live, but it will not let me record or advanced record with out it crashing.  Thank you for any help that you can give me.  As most of you know Best Buy where I bought it will not help [it is under warranty, or even HP] they all want to blame each other or the cable service provider or Microsoft so I am stuck to try to fix this on my own.
    Oh I have Vista too.
    Again Thank you

Monday, September 7, 2009 6:10 PM
  • Click Start ,

Type “run” in the Start Search box, and then

Click Run in the Programs list.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue .

In the Open box, type %systemdrive%\programdata\microsoft\ehome

Click OK .

In the details pane, right-click “mediacenterdatastore.db” , and then

Click Delete .

Click Yes to confirm that you want to move the "Mediacenterdatastore.db" file to the Recycle Bin.

Start Windows Media Center.

Media Center will rebuild the mediacenterdadastore.db file.

• Proposed as answer by s65jet Monday, November 16, 2009 1:45 AM
    Monday, November 16, 2009 1:44 AM
  • Thank you for your help, I tried what you said and I was not able to fine the file, it showed a lot of ehRec7088.crash files each with a different number and at the end it showed mcupdate7752.crash file. Could you tell me what I am doing wrong, I tried to search for the file that you mentioned but I never have any luck finding files.

Now it is not recording shows, the EPG is not working right it will update but now not a few channels, also it will show that it will record a show but will not and will crash and restart when it is time for a scheduled recording.  I also have an HP laptop that has media center and that PC is working fine and so is the EPG.  I am not sure what is wrong with this main desk top HP PC, in the past it fixed itself, I am not sure how but not it has not been working other than the fact that I can watch live shows.

Any help you can give would be great and thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post!
    my main e-mail is jensenmark@cox.net I just now seen that I had a message on my hot mail account that I do not use much.

Thank you again Mark

Friday, November 20, 2009 3:55 AM
  • Click Start ,

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue .

Click OK .

Click Delete .

Click Yes to confirm that you want to move the "Mediacenterdatastore.db" file to the Recycle Bin.

THIS WORKED FOR ME.  Thanks so much for the fix!!!!
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 2:13 AM
  • This is what I get when I open the file above it just shows crash files that is it, can anyone provide me with some help? I cannot fine the Mediacentrdatastore.db file.

I have an HP Vista

I hear of people finding that file that have Dell computes, would anyone know where i would find the MCdatastore.db on a HP Vists?

Thankyou!

The EPG does not seem to work right, it will work for a few weeks then quit for a few weeks, each time I am not sure if I did something to fix it or if it just decide to work again,  right now it quit again as of the 1/2/09, I try to record a show or take one out of the recording line up and it will crash the program????

Like wannebetech Tried to reinstall everything no change, that is not a fix, HP send me down that road too.  It works great when it decides to work. I also have tried system restores, and also imported a good copy of the registy and neither of those things work when it quits.

Anyone with some help thank you. 
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 3:35 AM
  • WOW!  I have tried everything to fix this random issue.  It has driven me CRAZY for 8 months.  This solution did the trick.  THANKS SO MUCH.  I was told by Dell that I had to  back up my system, reinstall the operating system and basically start over which made absolutely no sense (and I refused to do it).  I have been checking the blogs for solutions and it never fails, I finally found one.  Thanks s65jet. Don't know if this solution will cause something else not to work, but I don't care.  I have the Media Center back, which I love!
    Monday, January 4, 2010 2:49 PM
  • Where did you fine the DB file, I tried the same thing on my HP and cannot find that file.  I am gald you got yours working I just hope to get mine working again.  Thank you.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 9:41 PM
  • i can't believe that was all it took! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! this has been driving me nuts since the fall and i your suggestion worked :) thanks again! happy new year!

Tuesday, January 5, 2010 4:15 AM
  • Thank you so much. This resolved the issue. I love WMC and  missed it terribly.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010 6:22 AM
  • Click Start ,

Click OK .

Click Delete .

Thanks for this post.  I'm using Windows 7 and did not have the .db file mentioned above, but, assuming the issue is caused by a corrupt db file, I deleted the mceepg*.db files and this did the trick.  You're post pointed me in the right direction and saved me having to do a full restore, so again, thank you.
    Application Developer
    • Proposed as answer by Cliffskier Thursday, July 11, 2013 12:21 PM
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 10:35 PM
  • My sons upgraded my computer from XP to Windows 7 for me at the beginning of the year. My media centre has been giving low signal messages for a while and then having to be restarted. Sometimes it says "searching for tuner". It was giving me a very blocky image and then suddenly came right. Then today it was showing the image and all of a sudden it said "low bit rate" and now when I turn it on again it gives me the "suddenly stopped working" message even though I have re-booted my computer a couple of times.

I'm wondering if this could be solved by your solution but I'm afraid I am a complete novice so I am terrified to delete things randomly.
    I have Windows 7 and  I have 4 db files in my e-home folder
    mcepg2-0.db
    mcepg2-1.db
    mcepg2-2.db
    mcepg2-2.db
     Are these the files I should delete?

Many thanks for any help.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 8:08 PM
  • My sons upgraded my computer from XP to Windows 7 for me at the beginning of the year. My media centre has been giving low signal messages for a while and then having to be restarted. Sometimes it says "searching for tuner". It was giving me a very blocky image and then suddenly came right. Then today it was showing the image and all of a sudden it said "low bit rate" and now when I turn it on again it gives me the "suddenly stopped working" message even though I have re-booted my computer a couple of times.

I'm wondering if this could be solved by your solution but I'm afraid I am a complete novice so I am terrified to delete things randomly.
    mcepg2-0.db
    mcepg2-1.db
    mcepg2-2.db
    mcepg2-2.db

Did these issues occur when using Windows XP? 
    I don't think your issue is to do with these files.  It might be worth your having a look at the sources for each channel a new feature introduced in windows 7.  To get to these, within the guide, (from memory) right click on a channel and click edit channel, then click on sources.  Typically, you'll see frequencies ending with .375, .5 and .675. 

The process might be something like uncheck all but the frequency ending in .5 and save.  Change channel away from the channel you are editing then back to it to allow the tuner to engage the new frequency and see if it improves things.  If it's worse, then repeate the process selecting another of the frequencies.  I usually find the frequencies ending in .5 are the right one but not always.

Depending where you live, one of these sub frequencies may give you better reception.  It can be a bit tedious trialling them, but once you've done it once or twice you'll get into the swing of it.

good luck.

Application Developer
    Monday, January 18, 2010 9:45 AM

mcepg2-0.db
    mcepg2-1.db
    mcepg2-2.db
    mcepg2-2.db

I have Windows 7 and same PROBLEM. I cut & paste  mcepg2-0.db  and  mcepg2-1.db  to desktop. Then I clicked START and run Windows Media Center. Problem solved !
    Windows Media Center started from begining and NEW  mcepg2-0.db  was created.
    Files  mcepg2-0.db  and  mcepg2-1.db  can easily be deleted from desktop.
    Friday, January 22, 2010 4:29 PM
  • Wow wow wow wow wow....Thank you so very much. this has been a pain in my ____ for month..it is now solved.
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 10:36 PM
  • cheers...this fixed the problem
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 1:12 AM
  • Yes a Hotfix that came through on Windows update overwrites the Dll file of a Crucial component, Microsoft took a long while to finally look at it as thier problem, you can get the original Microsoft Dll back by going to this link
    I got it from here http://www.pchelphq.com/index.php?autocom=dll_database&code=view_dll&view_dll=1491

Installing this driver does not corrupt your system it only becomes accessed if Media Centre has a fault at start up,

it is the driver that switches back and forth to desktop resolution in media Centre,
    and takes over the Monitor display when using Media Centre...Thats all.

Try the Link and download the file, worked 100%
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 11:57 PM
  • Thank you s65jet. Windows media center stopped working on my laptop. This answer came on the screen:Windows media center store update manager stopped working. I searched the internet with this statement and found  several suggestions for remedy without success. I followed your procedure to delete the mediacenterdatastore.db. I started windows media center and it came on and has worked perfectly. Best wishes!

Friday, March 12, 2010 11:23 PM
  • You're welcome.  Glad this helped somebody.

Don't know about you, but I believe my problem started with a Divx download. 

Sunday, April 11, 2010 4:35 PM
  • I've searched and searched, and finally, something that works! Thanks s65jet!
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 6:16 PM
  • Click Start ,

Click OK .

Click Delete .

Thanks for this post.  I'm using Windows 7 and did not have the .db file mentioned above, but, assuming the issue is caused by a corrupt db file, I deleted the mceepg*.db files and this did the trick.  You're post pointed me in the right direction and saved me having to do a full restore, so again, thank you.
    Application Developer

Thank you. This solved it for me. I had restored my Gateway computer to factory settings, and Windows Media Center would not start afterwards. (It worked when the computer was new.)

I couldn't get the %systemdrive% command to work, so I deleted the files manually. (Just occurred to me that maybe I was supposed to substitute "C:" for "%systemdrive%". It was late when I was doing this.)

Why doesn't Windows find this solution when it is "searching for a solution?" It was posted more than 3 years ago.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 12:35 PM
  • I had to reinstall Media Center on a Windows Pro 7 N after repair install. The solution above (deleting the .db files) got Windows Media Center to start again. I had to reinstall the channel lineup and change the config for the tuner again, but it worked. Thx to the Microsoft forum for this fix.
    Friday, October 18, 2013 3:27 AM
  • I had the same scenario running Win7 SP2.  Moved the mcepg2-x.db files and all is well after MCE auto rebuilds the db file.  Oh yeah, my woes started immediately following a Windows Update.

Friday, November 15, 2013 2:39 AM