Force Word to start each document in separate process RRS feed

• Question

• We have 64 bit windows 7 with Office Word 2013. Native word 2013 document starts every document in its own winword.exe process.

However, if i open a word document created with word 2010 it will reuse an already existing winword.exe process(if it exists).

Hence, i need to prevent old documents from reusing existing word processes.

What I know is that you can send the switch “/w” along with the old document to force it to start within its own winword.exe process.

Though this might be one solution i need another approach to force documents to start within its own process.

One solution that I have been investigating is to modify the switch in the windows registry in order to force documents to start within its own process.

So, if you know of any other solution or any other resource that could help me modify the registry, please send me a message

Br

/Peter

Peter

Friday, May 2, 2014 12:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Peter,

>> We have 64 bit windows 7 with Office Word 2013. Native word 2013 document starts every document in its own winword.exe process.

In my test environment (Windows 8.1 + Office 2013), the document created by Word 2013 also use the existing winword.exe process.

>> One solution that I have been investigating is to modify the switch in the windows registry in order to force documents to start within its own process.

As far as I know, you could add “/w” parameter in registry:

”HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Word.Document.12\shell\Open\command”

Hope it will help. By the way, for questions about features for Office Products, I recommend you posting them on Technet forums - Microsoft Office.

Regards,

Jeffrey

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 3:32 AM

All replies

• It's hard to modify registry to do that. You will broke the Word application. 

Monday, May 5, 2014 6:38 AM
  • Hi Peter,

>> We have 64 bit windows 7 with Office Word 2013. Native word 2013 document starts every document in its own winword.exe process.

In my test environment (Windows 8.1 + Office 2013), the document created by Word 2013 also use the existing winword.exe process.

>> One solution that I have been investigating is to modify the switch in the windows registry in order to force documents to start within its own process.

As far as I know, you could add “/w” parameter in registry:

”HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Word.Document.12\shell\Open\command”

Hope it will help. By the way, for questions about features for Office Products, I recommend you posting them on Technet forums - Microsoft Office.

Regards,

Jeffrey

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 3:32 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I have been trying the exact same thing but without any luck. Anyway, i wanted to be sure that i'm not missing something.
    We also have a third party application that we might be able to modify to meet our needs.
    Thanks again, much appreciated!

Br,

/Peter

Peter

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 9:10 AM