none
New domain controller not working when boot up RRS feed

• Question

• Good day,

I have an issue I have installed an new domain controller Windows 2008 R2. I have transfer all the FSMO roles to the server. But when I switch of the old DC and reboot the new server I get eventid 4013. But when I disable the network card and enable the network card then the DNS comes up.

The Primary DNS is pointing to him self and the secondary DNS to the second domain controller. 

I have tested in an lab before doing this and it was working without any issue.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Regards

Gerrit 

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 3:01 PM

Answers

• Please first do not forget to make sure that your second server is a GC too. I would recommend to make each DC point to the other one as primary DNS server, its private IP address as secondary one and 127.0.0.1 as third one. Once done, run ipconfig /registerdns and restart netlogon on both DCs. More details and tips here: http://www.ahmedmalek.com/web/fr/articles.asp?artid=23

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 11:07 PM

All replies

• Please first do not forget to make sure that your second server is a GC too. I would recommend to make each DC point to the other one as primary DNS server, its private IP address as secondary one and 127.0.0.1 as third one. Once done, run ipconfig /registerdns and restart netlogon on both DCs. More details and tips here: http://www.ahmedmalek.com/web/fr/articles.asp?artid=23

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 11:07 PM
  • If there are multiple DCs present in your network then always make sure that the preferred DNS is pointing to the other DC and the alternate DNS is pointing to itself. The reason behind this is because of a race condition existing between AD and DNS. When the DC boots up both AD and DNS use the same database file (ntds.dit) and hence a race condition exists. Make sure that preferred DNS server to which you are pointing to is a working DC and is in a good network area.

Restart the netlogon and DNS server services once.

net stop netlogon and net stop dns

net start netlogon and net start dns

Regards

Arijit

Thursday, April 21, 2016 7:20 AM