Cannot hibernate or sleep computer RRS feed

• Question

• I can no longer hibernate (it's has disappeared from the drop down list/menu) from shut down options on the start button.

Also, if I go to select sleep instead from the shut down options, the screen goes blank temporarily blank as if it were going to go into sleep mode, however within a minute or less the screen lights up again with the computer not having gone to sleep.

Please help

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 5:34 PM

Answers

• Then there is some deeper problem. Might be time to backup and install Vista fresh.

Elected! Your votes and support have got me my 2010 MVP!

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 9:34 PM
  • Hey before you backup and install fresh!!!!

Hibernate/sleep/standby functions are closely related to graphics drivers.

iif the graphics drivers you have installed become compromised, may affect these functionalities.

go to your product manufacturer's website download and install latest graphics drivers.Should work fine.

Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 7:38 PM

All replies

• I've managed to get hibernate back on the start menu, though it still doesn't work (sleep now does work).

How do I go about doing what you've suggested?

Thanks

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 6:40 PM
  • Look in the control panel for what? 

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 6:52 PM
  • Am in Vista...don't have option, where next? Please

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 7:05 PM
  • I've been into power options, and have a played around with the settings....

The situation remains the same, when I click the hibernate button from the shut down menu on the start menu, the computer screen briefly goes blank and then lights up again.

The sleep function is working.

Any more ideas please.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 9:15 PM
  • That's what I feared :-(

Thanks for your help

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 10:20 PM
  • Hey before you backup and install fresh!!!!

Hibernate/sleep/standby functions are closely related to graphics drivers.

iif the graphics drivers you have installed become compromised, may affect these functionalities.

go to your product manufacturer's website download and install latest graphics drivers.Should work fine.

Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 7:38 PM