none
Microsoft Mashup Evaluation Container is freezing my laptop for some time RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there.

At some point (most likely after Win 10 updates) Power Query in Excel 2016 changed processing scheme.

(1) Now when I read CSV file via Power Query it launches 3+ Microsoft Mashup Evaluation Container processes
    and use my process up to 80%.

(2) Even when I updated Data Model via Ctrl+Alt+F5 and all data loaded and calculated
    this process continues calculating something for some time.

How to fix this?

-- Paul

• Edited by Paul Levchuk Thursday, December 24, 2015 12:12 PM
    Thursday, December 24, 2015 9:28 AM

Answers

• Hi, PowerQuery uses up to 3 "containers" to parallel process queries in the background. There really isn't anything you can do to change this, given that your query is expensive and CPU bound. I would suggest looking at those queries and try to optimize them.

For the post data model refresh calculations (and when you reopen a previous workbook), we are going to give the user more control over when to allow background calculations. It'll probably be included in the next update of PowerQuery. Stay tuned!

Peter Q. http://blogs.msdn.com/peter_qian

• Marked as answer by Paul Levchuk Tuesday, January 5, 2016 9:43 AM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2016 2:08 AM

All replies

• Hi, PowerQuery uses up to 3 "containers" to parallel process queries in the background. There really isn't anything you can do to change this, given that your query is expensive and CPU bound. I would suggest looking at those queries and try to optimize them.

For the post data model refresh calculations (and when you reopen a previous workbook), we are going to give the user more control over when to allow background calculations. It'll probably be included in the next update of PowerQuery. Stay tuned!

Peter Q. http://blogs.msdn.com/peter_qian

• Marked as answer by Paul Levchuk Tuesday, January 5, 2016 9:43 AM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2016 2:08 AM
  • Simple change that would likely improve things a bit:

Since this is a "background task", consider starting it with a low base priority. That way, they are less likely to bog down the machine. They may still run long and consume significant resources, but at least they shouldn't starve other processes.

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 9:58 PM