Vista automaticaly shuts down...... RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a Dell Laptop Inspirion 1501 with the Windows Vista-had it for about a year. For the last month or so I will be in the middle of a Word program..etc or even just playing a game that uses the mouse and CdRom  only and it will automatically shut down. I lose saved info..game..what ever I was working on. I am up to date on all the updates, virus program and etc, and have even looked to see if somehow I was pushing a certain key on the keyboard to make it shut off-but again this will happen if I am only using the mouse too. I have tried just using my laptop by power only and not the battery but it still does this about 30 minutes into what I am doing.

Anyone here have an idea as to what would be causing this? Very frustrating and I could use some help of any kind or insight as to what this could be.

Thanks-

Angie

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:54 PM

Answers

•  Angie_78 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I will answer your questions the best I am able.

I will be in the middle of something (game using cd or even just online) and it will just shut down. No warning of any type-just like I have shut it down fast.

This has happend when using the laptop mouse as well as my wireless mouse.

I haven't installed any new software lately to speak of. My son plays games on a few kid's sites but that's about it.

I haven't tried the System Restore Point because I didn't know when I could really narrow a time down when it started. I would say it started about 3-4 months ago and just lately I just thought that I have to get this figured out.

I am not sure what else I could use as another USB device. My wireless mouse is connected thru my usb port though.

I did do the Clean boot as suggested. It's still on those settings. Unfortunately it has shut down at least 3 times in the last 3 days. I even tried just taking my battery from under my laptop and running directly into my surge protector and it did this. Then I tried just running my laptop on battery power and yet again-it happened.

So, I am unsure of where to go from here. Of course my warranty expired 2 months ago so to get any Dell support it's now $60.....I really appreciate the help on this board!

Thanks

It actually sounds a bit like you are using a Laptop computer in the role of a desktop. Is that the case?

You could be experiencing a hardware-related issue whereby your CPU or video card get too hot and shut down the system.

Monday, August 18, 2008 3:38 PM
  • Hi,

I have received your files. Thank you for your cooperation.

I checked the logs and find following error message:

The previous system shutdown at 10:02:57 PM on 8/19/2008 was unexpected.

The previous system shutdown at 1:34:50 PM on 8/19/2008 was unexpected.

The previous system shutdown at 9:38:21 AM on 8/19/2008 was unexpected.

The previous system shutdown at 8:28:39 PM on 8/18/2008 was unexpected.

All the errors event ID is 6008.

If no BSOD's occur, it may be a power problem or hardware problem. Do you have another power supply? If possible, I suggest you test the issue with another power supply.

At same time, it is recommended to contact Dell to check whether it is a hardware problem.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Monday, August 25, 2008 9:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Before moving on, please confirm the following points:

1.Can you see the shutdown interface when issue occur? Or a blank screen was encountered suddenly.

2.Do you have another mouse? If possible, could you please change another mouse on the computer to test the issue?

3.Do you install any software recently?

4.Does the issue can be resolved by using System Restore to a early point?

5.Do you have another USB device? Such as joystick. Can you reproduce this problem when using it?

In order to narrow down this issue on software’s side, let’s take a Clean Boot to troubleshoot this issue.

Clean boot.

=============================

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please monitor the system in the Clean Boot environment. If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

Hope it helps.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 7:18 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while we will be changing the issue type to Comment.

If you wish to return to this question you can go ahead and change the type back to Question. Then you can edit your initial post and change the radio button at the top of the post editor window.

If the issue has been resolved, we’d love to hear your solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 10:15 AM
  •  

I will be in the middle of something (game using cd or even just online) and it will just shut down. No warning of any type-just like I have shut it down fast.

I haven't installed any new software lately to speak of. My son plays games on a few kid's sites but that's about it.

I haven't tried the System Restore Point because I didn't know when I could really narrow a time down when it started. I would say it started about 3-4 months ago and just lately I just thought that I have to get this figured out.

I am not sure what else I could use as another USB device. My wireless mouse is connected thru my usb port though.

I did do the Clean boot as suggested. It's still on those settings. Unfortunately it has shut down at least 3 times in the last 3 days. I even tried just taking my battery from under my laptop and running directly into my surge protector and it did this. Then I tried just running my laptop on battery power and yet again-it happened.

So, I am unsure of where to go from here. Of course my warranty expired 2 months ago so to get any Dell support it's now $60.....I really appreciate the help on this board!

Thanks

Saturday, August 16, 2008 11:57 PM
  •  Angie_78 wrote:

Thanks

It actually sounds a bit like you are using a Laptop computer in the role of a desktop. Is that the case?

You could be experiencing a hardware-related issue whereby your CPU or video card get too hot and shut down the system.

Monday, August 18, 2008 3:38 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your detail information.

According to your feedback, you can refer to the following article to check your power setting. If possible, please change your Power Management and Power Plans to test your problem.

Power Management and Power Plans

http://www.thegline.com/windows/2006/12/the-xp-users-guide-to-windows-6.html

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

If the issue still persists, please check your computer temperature and collect your Event Log for me. I will take a further research on it.

Event Log

=======================

1. Click "Start", input "eventvwr" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search bar and press Enter.

2. Right click on "Application" on the left frame, choose "Save Log file As"; in the pop-up window, click to choose the Desktop icon on the left frame, input "app" in the "File name" blank, and then click save.

3. Right click on "System", with the same method, save it as "sys".

4. Locate the two saved log files on the Desktop and upload them to the following link:

https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=c763d0a2-ef12-4871-b433-c07f00ec5976

Password: aNu@pV1aU*

Your cooperation is highly appreciated.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:45 AM
  • Thank you so much for the replies. I have did the upload as requested. And for the previous post, we do mainly use the laptop as a "desktop" and it's true that when it automatically shuts down it feels warmer than I think it's supposed to. I will check out that link that was provided.

Looking forward to your replies,

Saturday, August 23, 2008 8:08 PM
  • Hi,

I have received your files. Thank you for your cooperation.

I checked the logs and find following error message:

The previous system shutdown at 10:02:57 PM on 8/19/2008 was unexpected.

The previous system shutdown at 1:34:50 PM on 8/19/2008 was unexpected.

The previous system shutdown at 9:38:21 AM on 8/19/2008 was unexpected.

The previous system shutdown at 8:28:39 PM on 8/18/2008 was unexpected.

All the errors event ID is 6008.

If no BSOD's occur, it may be a power problem or hardware problem. Do you have another power supply? If possible, I suggest you test the issue with another power supply.

At same time, it is recommended to contact Dell to check whether it is a hardware problem.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Monday, August 25, 2008 9:48 AM