Live Migration issues - CPU compatibility RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a Hyper-V Cluster base on Windows Server 2016. The Live Migration and Quick migration are failing after upgrade from Hyper-V 2012 R2.

The migrations fail when the VM has been started on node 2. If we start the VM on node 1 we can live migrate the VM to node 2 and then migrate again to node 1 as many times as we want.

Quick Migration produce the error is 1069: Cluster resource 'Virtual Machine Name' of type 'Virtual Machine' in clustered role '"HOSTNAME"' failed. The error code was '0xc0370029': Cannot restore this virtual machine to the saved state because of hypervisor incompatibility. Delete the saved state data and then try to start the virtual machine.

Live Migratión produce the error 240004: Virtual machine 'Virtual Machine Name'is using processor-specific features not supported on host 'Node 1'. To allow for migration of this virtual machine to a server with a different processor, modify the virtual machine settings to limit the processor features used by the virtual machine.

Of course, I have enabled the processor compatibility mode on the VMs and I've checked that the instrucction set are limited on the VMs.

How can I delve to find out the roor cause?

The storage is a SMB on Cabinet.

Node 1: Intel E5-2640 v4

Node 2: Intel E5-2640 v3

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 7:53 AM

Answers

• Check to see that every BIOS setting is exactly the same between the two hosts.  Ensure C-States are disabled.

Are the CPU stepping levels the same between the two hosts?

Also make sure that both systems have the same patches applied.  The Spectre/Meltdown patch does expose different features of the CPU, so if that patch is not applied correctly, you can run into issues.  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyper-v-on-windows/CVE-2017-5715-and-hyper-v-vms

Good idea to run the cluster validation wizard to see if it kicks out any warnings.

tim

• Edited by Tim CerlingMVP Monday, April 9, 2018 7:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by esteban29 Wednesday, April 11, 2018 2:56 PM
    Monday, April 9, 2018 1:52 PM
  • Thank you everyone for the comments.

Finally I could solve the issue after upgrade the BIOS on both node to the last versión.

I though that I already have the last version on both nodes but while I was preparing the enviroment, a BIOS update was launched and the first node had a version and the second one another upper version. I update the first node and now all work properly.

• Marked as answer by esteban29 Wednesday, April 11, 2018 6:25 AM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2018 6:25 AM

All replies

• Have you tried updating the BIOS of the older system?

tim

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 1:14 PM
  • Hi,
    From the descritpion, the problem should be caused by the CPU version. The CPU version on node 1 is higher than node 2, and we can migrate VM from node 1 to node 2. 

At this moment, we could try to upgrade the CPU firmware on the Node 2. Then try to migrate VM again. 

Please note that it always is recommended that all cluster nodes use the same hardwares.

In addition, as mentioned by Tim, we could also update the BIOS to narrow down the problem.
    Best Regards, 
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 9:29 AM
  • Thanks both.

We have the same BIOS version, the last version. The server are the same (Dell R730) but we do not buy at the same time and some components are differents.

V3 and V4 do not point out the firmware versión else the CPU release. I can not upgrade V3 to convert on V4.

In the past, when I saw this error it was solved enabling the CPU compatibility.

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 3:53 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

To update the CPU firmware, it is not upgrade V3 to V4.

To sync the problem again, we cannot live migration for VM. But when we configure the CPU compatibility, right? If I have misunderstood your concern, please don't hesitate to let me know.

If we can live migration VM after configuring the CPU compatibility, we believe that the problem is caused by the different version of CPU. And the configuration of CPU compatibility is designed for the scenario. For detailed information, please check the article below.

--------------------------------

https://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/troubleshooting-hyper-v-live-migration/

Best Regards,
    Frank

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by Jay Gu Tuesday, April 10, 2018 6:35 AM
    Monday, April 9, 2018 7:57 AM
  • Check to see that every BIOS setting is exactly the same between the two hosts.  Ensure C-States are disabled.

Are the CPU stepping levels the same between the two hosts?

Also make sure that both systems have the same patches applied.  The Spectre/Meltdown patch does expose different features of the CPU, so if that patch is not applied correctly, you can run into issues.  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyper-v-on-windows/CVE-2017-5715-and-hyper-v-vms

Good idea to run the cluster validation wizard to see if it kicks out any warnings.

tim

• Edited by Tim CerlingMVP Monday, April 9, 2018 7:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by esteban29 Wednesday, April 11, 2018 2:56 PM
    Monday, April 9, 2018 1:52 PM
  • Hi

anyone here migration between hosts with v2 and v4 CPU's, and from 2012R>2016 hyper-v hosts?
    it's ok between v3 and v4.

doing some testing and, and VM's running 2012R and 2016 (gen2) ends up with BSOD after 2-3 minutes when migration from v2 to v4.

cpu comp is enabled, we have migrated between v1,2,3 before without any issues.

VM's running 2008R2 (gen1) is running fine after the migration

i will do a new test with another v4 CPU host and reinstall it with 2012R2.

Erlend

Monday, April 9, 2018 7:29 PM
  • You attempting to hijack this thread.  For a new question, you should open a new post.  

tim

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 1:11 PM
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 2:21 AM
  • Thank you everyone for the comments.

Finally I could solve the issue after upgrade the BIOS on both node to the last versión.

I though that I already have the last version on both nodes but while I was preparing the enviroment, a BIOS update was launched and the first node had a version and the second one another upper version. I update the first node and now all work properly.

• Marked as answer by esteban29 Wednesday, April 11, 2018 6:25 AM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2018 6:25 AM
  • Hi,

I am glad to hear that your issue was successfully resolved
    Please mark the useful reply as answer.It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 6:31 AM