Virtual Machines - Can I buy OEM Win 7, but install XP instead? RRS feed

• Question

• We have a need to create some virtual machines for some engineering software that can only run in XP mode, and we can't have the various software conflicting with each other (software is for controlling various machines from different vendors).

So, does the Win 7 OEM license allow me to purchase Win 7 OEM for our virtual machine but install XP instead (downgrade license I think this might be called?).

I've heard I may have to buy a full retail box of Win 7, then Software Assurance to get the downgrade rights in order to be legal to install XP.

Can anyone answer this?  And provide link(s) to some documentation on this?

Thanks

Monday, October 17, 2011 6:09 PM

All replies

• To install and run XP Mode on Windows 7 you must have Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, or Enterprise.  XP Mode may be installed on either OEM or Retail versions of Professional or Ultimate.  XP Mode comes with its own license.

For more information about Windows 7 & XP Mode I suggest you post in the Windows Virtual PC & XP Mode Froum:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprovirt/threads

You would need to contact Microsoft directly about "downgrade rights."  I'm not sure whether it is still available.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Edited by Rick Dee Monday, October 17, 2011 6:44 PM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 6:41 PM
  • Hi Rick,

Thanks for trying to answer, but I'm not referring to XP "Mode".  I want to run VM software (like VMware, or Sun's Virtual Box), and install XP in that Virtual Machine.

Monday, October 17, 2011 6:44 PM
  • Yes, you can install VMware or Virtual Box and run XP in a VMware or Virtual Box VM.  However, you would need licenses for each of your VMs, but this is not a "downgrade rights" scenario.  The "downgrade rights" only applied to the purchase of OEM systems.  If you have Retail versions of XP, Microsoft EULA does allow for you to re-use the license if you remove the original install from the current hardware.  OEM license are tied to the original installation, whether it is hardware or a VM, for life and it is not legal to re-use it on a different system. 
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, October 17, 2011 8:24 PM
  • Hi Rick.  I don't have retail versions of XP, but I do have MSDN, so downloading XP isn't an issue.  But since these are for production usage and not development, I can only use the XP download if I have a valid license/key.

So, that's why I was wondering if I could purchae Win 7 (to get a valid license/key) and then just install XP instead into the VM (instead of Win 7 since it won't support our machinery software).

I've tried looking around on Microsoft site for licensing "chat" but only find Software Assurance type things.

So folks, still looking for an answer.  (Thanks Rick for trying again)

Monday, October 17, 2011 8:30 PM