none
Please guide me from where i can see the functioning of the advice about the error planning wizard in MSP 2010 RRS feed

Answers

• Hello Nitin Kuhad,

To see an example of advice about scheduling
    errors, create a automatically scheduled tasks and enter a start date. 
    You'll see the green triangle appear with an explanation mark.  Click
    the exclamation mark to see the advice.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 1:13 PM

All replies

• Are you looking for schedule warnings, if yes then go to File -> Options-> Schedule-> Schedule Alerts Options -> Check both boxes - Show task schedule warnings and schedule suggestions.

If you are looking for "Project Guide" option as was in 2007 and previous versions, it has been removed in 2010, refer http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc178965.aspx#BKMK_WhatsRemoved

To enable it through code : http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project_programmability/archive/2010/04/30/getting-the-project-guided-to-show-up-in-project-2010.aspx

Sapna S

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 6:56 AM
  • Kuhad,

The "Planning Wizard" is basically the "voice" of the scheduling engine.  When you perform a function in Project, let's use setting a constraint as an example, the scheduling engine looks at the current state of the tasks, and if it violates any of the rules, such as the task relationships, the planning wizard will infrom you.  There are two basic types of dialogs you will get.  The first one says (basically) that the action you are about to do COULD CAUSE a scheduling conflict.  The second one you can get says (basically) that the action you are about to do WILL CAUSE a scheduling conflict.

Lets use two tasks, task A and task B, each being 2 days in duration.  Task A starts today (7/3/12) and is the predecessor of task B.  If I set them with a finish to start (FS)relationship, no issues.  By virtue of the relationship task B begins on 7/5/12.  If I then try to set a start no later than constraint of 7/4/12 on task B, I get the first dialog box from the planning wizard.   If I chose continue, then an additional error comes up with several options.  One of the ways to correctly address this scenario without all the hassle is to use a FS relationship and a lead (a negative number in the lag field) - or use a start to start relationship and a lag.

There is no where I know of in Project 2010 where you can see the "functioning" of the planning wizard.  However, in 2010, there is the Task Inspector.  It is located on the TASK tab in the TASKS command group (the "Inspect" button).  I am not sure if this answers your question, but I hope this has helped.

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 7:12 AM
  • Thanks Gregg, 

That was helpful but i wanted to see whether is it possible to see the advice about errors option fron the planning wizard.

Regards, Nitin Kuhad

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 7:33 AM
  • Hi Nitin,

As I already stated in my previous post that option is removed from 2010; you can activate it using the code mentioned on the shared URL.

Sapna S

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 7:53 AM
  • Thanks Gregg, 

That was helpful but i wanted to see whether is it possible to see the advice about errors option fron the planning wizard.

Regards, Nitin Kuhad

Hello Nitin,

To my best knowledge, there is no document containing detailed information on the conditions that trigger the Planning Wizard and on the options presented in the dialog box when displayed. In a nutshell, there exists no "Planning Wizard Guide" for Project 2010. 

Regards.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 12:38 PM
  • Hello Nitin Kuhad,

To see an example of advice about scheduling
    errors, create a automatically scheduled tasks and enter a start date. 
    You'll see the green triangle appear with an explanation mark.  Click
    the exclamation mark to see the advice.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 1:13 PM