none
Archive a completed project RRS feed

• Question

• https://support.office.com/en-au/article/Archive-a-project-5117fe4f-3c07-4499-8cc9-99321767954f

I am using the above method to ArchiveCompleted Projects from PWA Server.Do I need to close the Tasks for updates before archieving?

Friday, November 7, 2014 2:47 PM

Answers

• What you can do is to associated no group (even not the admin group) to the category. But then if you want to see the archived projects list in the project center, you'll have to temporarly add the admion group to the archived category.

Another way is to have kind of a "status" project custom field with a lookup table (started, on hold, closed, archived), to set archived project status to "archived" value and filter out in the project center view definition (Server settings, manage views, filter) based on the status value.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

• Marked as answer by Project help Monday, November 10, 2014 5:13 PM
    Friday, November 7, 2014 4:15 PM
  • It might be that the filter is configured in the view definition (server settings, manage views) and not from the project center ribbon filtering feature.

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by Project help Monday, November 10, 2014 5:22 PM
    Monday, November 10, 2014 5:20 PM
  • The benefits are mainly for the end users who do not want to have 50 completed projects still visible in their project center views and in their file/open MS Project dialog box. You could of course delete the projects and keep them in the archive DB but then they are not easily recoverable in case a PM wants to see it back. Thanks to this method, with a simple click, you can make the archived project visible again.

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by Project help Monday, November 10, 2014 7:54 PM
    Monday, November 10, 2014 7:45 PM

All replies

• Since the project and task will not be visible anymore, you do not need to close the tasks for update. In addition to this, if you unpublish tasks, they will not be pushed anymore in the timesheets/task update.

That being said, depending on your process, meaning for example if you want to do it all from PWA, you could choose to replace the unpublish step in MS Project Pro by the "close to update" step in PWA.

Hope this helps,

Friday, November 7, 2014 3:06 PM
  • Thanks!

I Have Archive the project but still able to see in Project Center I have administrative rights.

Could you suggest why?

Friday, November 7, 2014 3:12 PM
  • It is because the archived category is associated to the admin group, so admin can see archived projects in the archive category.

I'd suggest to create an archived view in the project center for admin. And also if you don't want as an admin to see the archived projects in the other views, you can filter out the archived projects (you should have a status project custom field for that) in the project center view definition.

Hope this helps,

Friday, November 7, 2014 3:17 PM
  • That project which I archive still shows as an active project?
    Friday, November 7, 2014 3:42 PM
  • Yes they do. And it is normal that admins can still see the archived projects due to fact that the archived category is associated to the admin group.

It is just a matter of displaying or not archived projects in the project center by adding filters in the views' definition. But the projects are still archived assuming they are in the archived category.

Hope this helps,

Friday, November 7, 2014 3:46 PM
  • IS there any way I can filter those projects out from my view?
    Friday, November 7, 2014 3:50 PM
  • What you can do is to associated no group (even not the admin group) to the category. But then if you want to see the archived projects list in the project center, you'll have to temporarly add the admion group to the archived category.

Another way is to have kind of a "status" project custom field with a lookup table (started, on hold, closed, archived), to set archived project status to "archived" value and filter out in the project center view definition (Server settings, manage views, filter) based on the status value.

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by Project help Monday, November 10, 2014 5:13 PM
    Friday, November 7, 2014 4:15 PM
  • Thanks For the reply

I will certainly help! but if anytime after archieving those projects any PM wants to see that project back.

What do i need to do? remove it from Archive category?

Friday, November 7, 2014 4:23 PM
  • Exactly, you just need to remove the project from the archived category.

If any of the above replies were helpful, please mark as an answer so other users with a similar concern can refer to it.

Hope this helps,

Friday, November 7, 2014 4:24 PM
  • Thanks for the above reply!

when I am changing  a project status to completed It disappears from my view . I have no filters and Groups on the view. I have checked the Attributes for the field as well if there is any filter there is nothing.

Please advice.

Monday, November 10, 2014 5:16 PM
  • It might be that the filter is configured in the view definition (server settings, manage views) and not from the project center ribbon filtering feature.

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by Project help Monday, November 10, 2014 5:22 PM
    Monday, November 10, 2014 5:20 PM
  • Thank You!
    Monday, November 10, 2014 5:23 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

What is the benefit of archiving the projects which are completed?

Monday, November 10, 2014 7:39 PM
  • The benefits are mainly for the end users who do not want to have 50 completed projects still visible in their project center views and in their file/open MS Project dialog box. You could of course delete the projects and keep them in the archive DB but then they are not easily recoverable in case a PM wants to see it back. Thanks to this method, with a simple click, you can make the archived project visible again.

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by Project help Monday, November 10, 2014 7:54 PM
    Monday, November 10, 2014 7:45 PM
  • But if we put a filter on the status that works too?
    Monday, November 10, 2014 7:50 PM
  • So when we Archive it archives it from MS project server as well?
    Monday, November 10, 2014 7:51 PM
  • I got it Thanks!
    Monday, November 10, 2014 7:53 PM
  • But if we put a filter on the status that works too?
    No, the users will still see the projects in the file/open dialog box.

Hope this helps,

Monday, November 10, 2014 7:54 PM
  •  IS there a way,If I want to hide the previous years in business Intelligence center of PWA reports

.i.e Only certain people and group can see previous years as required?

Monday, November 10, 2014 7:56 PM
  • So when we Archive it archives it from MS project server as well?

The default daily backup feature (not available for Project Online) creates every day a backup of every projects modified during the previous day, limited to a certain number of version (retention number). It stores the versions in the archived DB (which is 1 of the 5 DB for PS2010 or the 5 tables for PS2013) thus still in your Project Server instance. Then when you delete a project, you can keep it in the archive DB allowing you restoring it later on if needed. 

Here is the reference.

Hope this helps,

Monday, November 10, 2014 7:58 PM
  •  IS there a way,If I want to hide the previous years in business Intelligence center of PWA reports

.i.e Only certain people and group can see previous years as required?

It depends on your reports: are they OLAP based, SSRS, Excel Services (Reporting DB), Dashboard Designer?

For example OLAP cubes can be configured to get data from a specific timeframe. Then you can store your report in a document librairy with specific permissions. This would be my general advice: create reports filtered on a given timeframe based on the visibility you need to give to a group and stored the report on a librairy accessible by this group.

Hope this helps,

Monday, November 10, 2014 8:03 PM