App-V 4.6: Discard changes to App-V package during shutdown RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

When user shuts down App-V application, modifications to application settings made by user are retained.

Is there possibility to allow changes but discard them all when application is shutted down?

We're running 4.6 SP1.

Monday, March 11, 2013 8:18 AM

Answers

• Hello,

You could write a script that deletes all the content that the application lays down - such as files and registry keys. I would suggest you develop this outside of App-V and then just incorporate it into the virtual package once that is done

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Monday, March 11, 2013 8:24 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You could write a script that deletes all the content that the application lays down - such as files and registry keys. I would suggest you develop this outside of App-V and then just incorporate it into the virtual package once that is done

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Monday, March 11, 2013 8:24 AM
  • Hello,

When user shuts down App-V application, modifications to application settings made by user are retained.

Is there possibility to allow changes but discard them all when application is shutted down?

We're running 4.6 SP1.

Note that App-V doesn't provide functionality to do this itself. You'll need to follow Znack's suggestion a script a custom solution.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Monday, March 11, 2013 9:52 AM
  • As one option indeed would be to delete the files from within the virtual environment, another option would be to use the 'repair' feature of App-V 4+5.

(run sftmime repair APP:<AppName+Version_in_exact_spelling> as an POST-SHUTDOWN, Protect:FALSE in your OSD file)

Note that 'repair' resets all settings of an application package (so you don't have any granual control over this).

Note that in App-V 5, there is no "post-shutdown" (TerminateVirtualEnvironment) script that can run _inside_ the virtual environment

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |  Blog kirxblog   |  Web kirx.org

Monday, March 11, 2013 12:13 PM