none
Getting a warning when attempt to setup mail flow>forwarding in the O365 portal.

Question

• I am trying to set mail forwarding in the O365 portal but I got the attached warning.  I am not sure if another administrator has already setup forwarding.  

I see the ForwardingsmtpAddress  in powershell after issue the commad Get-Mailbox <mailbox>| fl name,forwardingSMTPAddress.  The strange thing is mailflow>forwarding in the portal is showing blank

Does anyone know why the portal is showing blank?  And also how it was setup?  

Thanks. 
    Saturday, January 28, 2017 4:09 PM

All replies

• There's a difference between Mail Flow -> Forwarding and the ForwardingSmtpAddress.

In mail-flow, this is when you point a mailbox to deliver a copy of any items received to another object in the address book.  you could forward to another mailbox, a contact, or a distribution list.  this feature only lets you forward to objects that are in your global address list.

the ForwardingSmtpAddress is a simple smtp address forwarder.

another difference between the two is that the mail-flow option allows you to have a copy of the incoming mail deliver to both the mailbox AND to the alternate recipient.

The ForwardingSmtpAddress will not deliver a copy to the mailbox.

You are seeing the error message because you cannot have both set.

-Eriq VanBibber, CTO, Priasoft Inc.

Saturday, January 28, 2017 5:14 PM
  • Thank you so much!!!

How to setup ForwardSmtpAddress?   Do I do it from the portal or from powershell?

Saturday, January 28, 2017 7:13 PM
  • The forwardingSmtp is only manageable from powershell.

You'll use set-Mailbox to modify the value or to clear it.

Just know that because it's not visible in the ECP, it's easy to forget its there.

As an opinion, i prefer the alternate Recipient approach since it's possible to group and organize all the alternate recipients together.  In order to report or track the forwardingSmtp use, you'd have to always revert to running powershell commands.

there's also some difference in how the message tracking logs are reporting as well between the two.

-Eriq VanBibber, CTO, Priasoft Inc.

Saturday, January 28, 2017 7:17 PM
  • Hi, EdKC

According to the Eriq VanBibber's first reply, I want to correct something:

1. We can have both ForwardingAddress and ForwardingSmtpAddress set. In this situation, the value of ForwardingSmtpAddress is ignored.

2. DeliverToMailboxAndForward will work for ForwardingSmtpAddress, if we just configure ForwardingSmtpAddress.

And I didn't see attached warning, I can't help you better. But if you want to configure ForwardingSmtpAddress, we can only do it in PowerShell. Mailflow>forwarding in the portal is showing blank, it's because ForwardingAddress attribute is blank.

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 30, 2017 2:12 PM