Windows Server 2016 - RD Connection Broker - Failed to install because one or more parent service not installed or disabled RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I've been trying for the past couple of days to deploy Remote Desktop Services to newly built 2016 Server (member server not DC). It just fails repeatedly when trying to install the connection broker role.

I've completed the windows updates (although that was dramatic in itself!) and then turned my attention to installing RDS services, tried Role based and remote desktop services type deployments, but on both it just fails and gives a useless and generic error message:

----------------------------------------------------------------

GetAlterationState method returned Failed. Error: The request to add or remove features on the specified server failed.
    Installation of one or more roles, role services, or features failed.
    One or several parent features are disabled so current feature can not be enabled. Error: 0xc004000d

----------------------------------------------------------------

I've tried the following:

Change the Windows Internal Database service to administrator, or network service, or local system. (didn't work)

Moved server to separate container and disabled GPO inheritance incase it's a group policy setting issue.

Tried installing connection broker role via powershell.

Changed local security policy to make sure log on as service right is set for NT Service\All services, domain admins and network service.

SFC scan and DSIM repair image.

I can't figure out which service is possibly required to install this role which I haven't already enabled.

CBS logs don't provide much insight into why this has failed unfortunately.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Billy

Thursday, March 7, 2019 10:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please try below steps:
    1. Open PowerShell, and type “get-windowsfeature” with enter.
    2. Check the cmdlet result and confirm that if Windows Internal Database has been installed. 

If WID(Windows Internal Database) has been installed:
    1. Open Run, type “services.msc” and end with enter.
    2. Find service Windows Internal Database, open its Properties – Log On, make sure it has been configured with “Local system account”.
    3. Save the change and re-start the service, try to install RD CB again.

If problem persists, please try:
    1. Uninstall the Windows Internal Database. 
    2. Rename the old WID (C:\Windows\) to WID_old.
    3. Try to install RDCB again to check the result. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 8:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, my understanding is that Connection Broker is failed to be installed on Windows Server 2016.

Please log on the server directly with domain admin credential. Then, please open Server Manager – Add roles and features – Role based or feature based installation – expand Remote desktop services and select RD CB.

If problem persists, please post the detail error message or relate screenshot about the failure. 

Besides, please reference “Introduction to log files that are useful for troubleshooting RDS issues in Windows Server 2012” to enable the RDS log, then, try to reproduce the problem and collect relate log files:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-my/help/2747656/introduction-to-log-files-that-are-useful-for-troubleshooting-rds-issu

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 8, 2019 2:26 AM
  • Hi Eva,

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll try this and post the results.

Edit: I Forgot to mention, I've been attempting this while logged on as the domain administrator and have attempted to add the RD CB role individually and get the same result.

Cheers,

Billy

Friday, March 8, 2019 9:10 PM
  • Hi,

Please feel free to let us know if there is any update. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, March 11, 2019 1:15 AM
  • Hi Eva,

I'm working on this customer today so should have an update for you by the end of the day.

Thanks again for your help so far.

Cheers,

Billy

Monday, March 11, 2019 9:45 AM
  • Hi Eva,

Please see below excerpt from the RDMS logs, perhaps this will give an indication of what is happening.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ServerManager.exe Warning: 0 : 11/03/2019 19:20:27.43: RdmsUI: Exception occurred in GetTrustedDomainNames with parameters useCache: True. Exception details: System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.ActiveDirectoryOperationException: A local error has occurred.
     ---> System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryServicesCOMException: A local error has occurred.

at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind(Boolean throwIfFail)
       at System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.DomainController.ValidateCredential(DomainController dc, DirectoryContext context)
       at System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.DomainController.FindOneWithCredentialValidation(DirectoryContext context, String siteName, LocatorOptions flag)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.DomainController.FindOneWithCredentialValidation(DirectoryContext context, String siteName, LocatorOptions flag)
       at System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.Domain.GetTrustsHelper(String targetDomainName)
       at System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.Domain.GetAllTrustRelationships()
       at Microsoft.RemoteDesktopServices.RDManagement.Utils.CommonUtils.GetTrustedDomainNames(Boolean useCache)
        ThreadId=18
    ServerManager.exe Error: 0 : 11/03/2019 19:20:28.85: CommonUtils: TryCacheDomainNamesThread failed, Exception Could not retrieve a list of domain names.

Exception: A local error has occurred

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Logged in as domain administrator account, running server manager as admin. Uninstalled and reinstalled services as some people saying they were getting false negatives and restart and reinstall resolved, but sadly nothing seems to help.

I'll capture the other event viewer logs and send across, but so far this is the only error I've seen in the log files.

Any advice and pointers would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Billy

Monday, March 11, 2019 8:18 PM
  • Hi Eva,

Also found the following in Event viewer logs under ServerManager-DeploymentProvider.

First Error:

Unable to install updates SBMgr-UI;SessionDirectory;. hResult: Unknown HResult Error code: 0xc004000d

Second Error:

Exception Detected: Installation of one or more roles, role services, or features failed.
    One or several parent features are disabled so current feature can not be enabled. Error: 0xc004000d ErrorID: DISMAPI_Error__Failed_To_Enable_Updates

Third Error:

GetAlterationState method returned Failed. Error: The request to add or remove features on the specified server failed.
    Installation of one or more roles, role services, or features failed.
    One or several parent features are disabled so current feature can not be enabled. Error: 0xc004000d

Hopefully this helps to track down the issue, because I'm at a loss now.

Many thanks,

Billy

Monday, March 11, 2019 9:05 PM
  • Hi,

Please try below steps:
    1. Open PowerShell, and type “get-windowsfeature” with enter.
    2. Check the cmdlet result and confirm that if Windows Internal Database has been installed. 

If WID(Windows Internal Database) has been installed:
    1. Open Run, type “services.msc” and end with enter.
    2. Find service Windows Internal Database, open its Properties – Log On, make sure it has been configured with “Local system account”.
    3. Save the change and re-start the service, try to install RD CB again.

If problem persists, please try:
    1. Uninstall the Windows Internal Database. 
    2. Rename the old WID (C:\Windows\) to WID_old.
    3. Try to install RDCB again to check the result. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 8:10 AM
  • Hi Eva,

Thanks for this I'll attempt this now, FYI the error log on trying to install the RD CB role in the WID\logs directory states the following:

Starting up database 'tempdb'.
    2019-03-12 11:34:54.62 spid20s     Error: 3605, Severity: 16, State: 1.
    2019-03-12 11:34:54.62 spid20s     Schema verification failed for database 'RDCms'.
    2019-03-12 11:34:54.63 spid20s     The Service Broker endpoint is in disabled or stopped state.
    2019-03-12 11:34:54.63 spid20s     The Database Mirroring endpoint is in disabled or stopped state.
    2019-03-12 11:34:54.63 spid20s     Service Broker manager has started.
    2019-03-12 11:34:54.95 spid7s      SQL Server is now ready for client connections. This is an informational 

I'll uninstall the internal database and try the steps you mentioned above and report back.

Many thanks,

Billy

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 11:42 AM
  • Hi Eva,

You're help has been amazing, thanks, uninstalling the Windows Database, renaming c:\Windows\WID and reinstalling the connection broker role has worked.

I will post an advisory thread with steps I had to follow for others in the future.

I'm just restarting the server post role deployment and will update shortly if everything is ok.

Only frustration, is that this entire process could have been done in 2 hours if the logging information was more specific then just "a role, feature or parent service is not installed or running". Perhaps some more concise logging information for this error might be needed in future that specifically mentions the parent role or feature.

Further update to come once I've configured the roles, but it's looking good so far.

Thanks again,

Billy

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 11:58 AM
  • Hi Eva,

Just to confirm that RDS services are now configured including the RD CB role and I'm receiving no errors, following uninstall and reinstall of Windows Internal Database feature.

Thanks again for the help.

Cheers,

Billy

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 12:53 PM
  • Hi,

I am pleased to know that the information is helpful to you. Also, thank you for taking the time to share the details and update the result.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post on the forum.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 7:55 AM