windows theme setting and microsoft report writer problem RRS feed

• Question

• we have an application that uses the .net report writer - some of the symbols are incompatible between windows 7 and 8 and 10.  our solution has been to use a "windows 7 theme" to our customers' desktops.  On a new lenovo tablet that is not easy. No windows 7 themes are installed with windows 8.  When I go to "add more themes" the microsoft website only provides more themes, some of which are "windows 7 compatible" but they do not fix the problem.  I don't want customers to have to get a third party app for a solution as who know what will happen later.  I also cannot find "windows classic" using search.  I just want our applications to work as designed.  These should not be incompatible but they are. We are using all microsoft products
    Wednesday, November 18, 2015 11:53 PM

Answers

• Hi smichaellutz,

I have some doubt about your post, please confirm some information with me so that we can deal with it more smoothly.

1. What system is used in the Lenovo tablet? Windows 8 Pro or Windows RT.

If the Lenovo tablet uses Windows RT system, it only can run those apps which are in Windows Store. If the tablet uses Windows 8 system, I suggest to install an appropriate .net framework which fit your app at first.

2. What do you mean about the solution of using Windows 7 theme?

In my consideration and according to what you mentioned that some of the symbols are incompatible between windows 7 and 8 and 10, this issue is compatibility related, it cannot be resolved by a theme.

If you really have fixed such issue by change to Windows 7 theme or the app you developed is related to theme, please check this solution:  it’s  ok to use Windows 7 theme in the Windows 8 system. Copy theme from a computer with Windows 7 system to the tablet directly. The path of themes is: C:\windows\resources\themes.

Otherwise, let’s try to install the application in compatibility mode on Windows 8 to see if this issue can be fixed.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

In addition, to make a app developed to work on both Windows 7 and later OS, we cannot just check it on Windows client,  to help you better, I also suggest you submit a new case on MSDN forum as they will be more professional on development issue:

This is the MSDN forum link.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/home?category=windowsdesktopdev&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc 

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

I hope my suggestion could be helpful.

• Marked as answer by Bruce Wooding Friday, November 27, 2015 8:32 PM
    Friday, November 20, 2015 2:01 AM