none
User getting 'user name or password incorrect' even though it is RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user who has this issue: laptop computer running win7 connected to the corporate network. Using active directory. User account is in AD. The user types in username/password. Gets the message ‘user name or password is incorrect’. User can attempt 5 or 6 times, gets the same message. User is absolutely sure he is using correct credentials. (I have his creds and have done it myself). Can reboot the computer and it may then allow him to login. Or he may get the same message. User can go to a different computer in the office. Same results. Or, this different computer may let him login multiple times, but will ultimately get the same results. I have tried on newly imaged computer with the same results. We have checked and he is not logged into any other device anywhere. (he has an iPad with company e-mail) and what is somewhat odd (well, other than the whole event) is he is able to get his company e-mail on the iPad, no problem.

Any suggestions?

Friday, September 23, 2016 7:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Username or password incorrect indicates the username and password did not match.

Common causes for this include typing mistakes, wrong keyboard settings, wrong domain selection, ...

I would start by checking the keyboard settings and making sure you have right domain, user and password.

Also check if the User profile was corrupted.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 26, 2016 9:35 AM

All replies