MAPI (Microsoft Mail API) not installed on this machine RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We use in house CRM software developed many years ago which is integrated with Outlook so users can send email from it. Users find this feature very convenient.

This feature always works with Windows 7 and Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016.

However, as I transition some users to Windows 10, I notice this feature can break regardless of which version of Outlook version is used. I've attached the screenshot below of what I mean. This happens whether the transition to Windows 10 is a fresh install on a brand new system, or an in place upgrade. 

I've scoured the Internet and haven't really found anything helpful to try. The one system I was working with (Outlook 2016), I did try:

• Ran the Outlook repair process
    • Looked at some mapi related registry entries and those 'look okay'
    • Renamed Mapi32.dll/running the fixmapi
    • Double checked Outlook is the default mail client
    • I ran process explorer on my machine and compared the results with the affected machine when trying to send an email from the CRM client. There is the occasional 'access denied' which is consistent across both systems but nothing that raises a red flag

Beyond this I don't know what else to do. I'm not sure this is even an Outlook problem or something with Windows itself as this feature breaks instantly as soon as Windows 10 is installed. 

What else can I do??

• Edited by SpeedLinePOS Wednesday, January 17, 2018 8:10 PM
    Wednesday, January 17, 2018 8:09 PM

All replies

• Hi SpeedLinePOS,
                                    It seems you have to downgrade your MS Outlook to 2013 or earlier versions. It will surely fix your problem

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

Regards

Mukesh Nailwal

Thursday, January 18, 2018 3:16 AM
  • Hi,

Have you contacted the developers of the CRM software and see whether there is any clue? We are not sure how the CRM software was developed, however, there was indeed a known issue before when calling MAPI API. May I know the specific build number of Microsoft Outlook you are using? Please make sure you have installed all available updates and then try testing again.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, January 18, 2018 8:08 AM
  • Hi Mukesh, yes. That is true: running the repair process on Outlook 2010 actually resolves this issue. However the year is 2018 now and unfortunately we can't run 2010 forever

@Steve Fan - The build number in this one case is Outlook 2016 - 8827.2148. It was fully updated at one point but there are some new Win updates so I'll run through those to be sure

I haven't contacted the developers yet. I don't know much about the CRM software we're using here as I never use it myself but I believe the version is quite old and goes back at least 10 years so I'm thinking that may be contributing to things.. In short: old CRM software + newer Outlook + newer Windows  = problem

Thursday, January 18, 2018 5:53 PM
  • Er, but like I said: It can break. This is not always the case. In some instances for a handful of Win 10 and 2016 users, this does behave accordingly. So it's not like the CRM interacts with Mapi in a certain way, but then can't with 2016 because the CRM itself is so old and Outlook has changed how the call process works within the last couple editions of Office.. hence the message.

I don't know anymore. I don't see any solution in the future to be honest..
    Monday, January 22, 2018 11:59 PM
  • Hi,

Does this continue if we try to update to the latest build Version 1801 (Build 9001.2138) available for Monthly Channel?

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 10:24 AM
  • Hi, sorry for the late reply! Email notifications aren't going to my inbox.. I'll need to see about that.. 

Version build looks irrelevant here. Anyway, who knows if there is any real solution to this or why it happens for some systems and not others. I have yet to contact the CRM company but they may laugh at us asking for support an outdated product. Looks like some users are just going to have to deal with this minor issue. I expectedly didn't get many responses on this thread as I didn't on another forum asking the same question.
    Monday, March 26, 2018 5:15 PM