none
screen saver & desktop background issues RRS feed

• Question

• Our clients for SteadyState are hotels in the area that have xp Home machines in the lobby for guest use. They typically want to have their own graphic on the desktop and pictures of features in the area used as a slide show/screen saver. I am running into some difficulty getting this to work once I set the account restrictions to anything other than "no restrictions."

Specifically, on an xp home sp2 test machine, I created a user account named Public (Limited Account) with no restrictions, and while the user profile was unlocked, forced logoff timer functions disabled and disk protection is off, I logged onto Public and changed the desktop background and configured the screen saver.

All is well until I log off the Public account and log back onto it. Desktop graphic is back to default and no screen saver. If I right-click on the desktop and go to the desktop background, the choice is still selected, and if I click OK, the desktop graphic comes back (until the next log off/logon).

I see from some other posts that the screensaver is tied into the forced logoff, but our customers don't want that, since only one user account (Public) would be used for anything other than system maintenance.

I can understand preventing a restricted user from making changes to the desktop background and the screen saver, but why not leave the settings "as-configured"

In the meantime, is there a registry hack to resolve this?

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 11:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Wyocowboy2,

The wallpaper issue can occur with some JPG files. You can refer to Robert’s suggestion in the following thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1861999&SiteID=69

The screensaver problem is a known issue. When administrator configures restrictions for a user, the following screensaver related registry values are set. These registry values are set no matter what restriction option was modified. Thus, after you click the OK button to apply the configurations to the user account, screensaver is reset to the default one. 

HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\ScrnSave.exe                %SystemRoot%\system32\logon.scr

HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\ScreenSaveTimeout           600

HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\ScreenSaverIsSecure         0

HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\ScreenSaveActive              1

We have notified our developer about this issue. This feature will be modified in the next version of SteadyState.

Currently, if you would like to save your wallpaper and screensaver configurations, you can follow the steps below:

1. Create a new SteadyState account. Make sure it is not locked, and Session Timers options are unchecked.

2. Configure account  restrictions from SteadyState. However, please make sure the following options are not selected:

Under Windows Restriction -> Start  Menu Restrictions:

"Remove the Control Panel icon"

Under General Restrictions:

"Prevent right-click in Windows Explorer"

"Prevent access to Windows Explorer features: Folder Options, Customize Toolbar, and the My Documents folder"

3. Log into the user account and change wallpaper and screensaver as you like.

4. Log off and log on again to verify the settings.

Note: As we have explained before, if other SteadyState changes were made to the user profile, we need to configure the screensaver again.

Best Regards,

Thursday, August 9, 2007 8:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Wyocowboy2,

The wallpaper issue can occur with some JPG files. You can refer to Robert’s suggestion in the following thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1861999&SiteID=69

The screensaver problem is a known issue. When administrator configures restrictions for a user, the following screensaver related registry values are set. These registry values are set no matter what restriction option was modified. Thus, after you click the OK button to apply the configurations to the user account, screensaver is reset to the default one. 

HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\ScrnSave.exe                %SystemRoot%\system32\logon.scr

HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\ScreenSaveTimeout           600

HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\ScreenSaverIsSecure         0

HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\ScreenSaveActive              1

We have notified our developer about this issue. This feature will be modified in the next version of SteadyState.

Currently, if you would like to save your wallpaper and screensaver configurations, you can follow the steps below:

1. Create a new SteadyState account. Make sure it is not locked, and Session Timers options are unchecked.

2. Configure account  restrictions from SteadyState. However, please make sure the following options are not selected:

Under Windows Restriction -> Start  Menu Restrictions:

"Remove the Control Panel icon"

Under General Restrictions:

"Prevent right-click in Windows Explorer"

"Prevent access to Windows Explorer features: Folder Options, Customize Toolbar, and the My Documents folder"

3. Log into the user account and change wallpaper and screensaver as you like.

4. Log off and log on again to verify the settings.

Note: As we have explained before, if other SteadyState changes were made to the user profile, we need to configure the screensaver again.

Best Regards,

Thursday, August 9, 2007 8:23 AM
  • Are there any other workarounds out there?  We do not want to give the locked down user account access to the Control Panel.  We have resricted access to the registry via Steady State, so a registry change at login via script wouldn't be possible.

Is there an announced date for release of SteadyState 2.5?

Thank you,

Glenn

Sunday, April 27, 2008 7:26 PM
  • Shawn,
    Its great to see the new version out of beta... I've not had a chance to try it yet.  But can you tell, has the screensaver issue, described above been addressed / fixed in version 2.5?
    Thanks,
    Bernard
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 1:56 PM
  • I had the same issue with the desktop background not showing up for the accounts.  What I had to do was create my public account by hand locally.  Then with an admin account I opened up the mmc and added the group policy for the local computer.  There I modified the local group policy and set the desktop to active desktop, and set the background to what I wanted.  It hasn't dissappeared yet.  There may be a setting in there for the screen saver, not sure.  I was able to do this with both 2.0 and 2.5.  Trick was not to create the account using steadystate.  Not sure why that was.  Hope this helps or gives you some more options to look at.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 5:43 PM
  • I also found that adding the group policy object editor through the mmc and modify the Screen Saver field to 'Disabled' to be the best work around for this. Seems to hold even after making any restriction changes through Steady State.
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 1:12 PM