Computer Keeps Locking up and Then Restarts. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, this has been going on for a while now, and every time I think I have it fixed it'll come back. Seemingly at random times my computer will freeze up. It'll stutter for a second before completely locking up, if sound was playing it'll just blare a the last note it was on. This will last about 30 seconds before the entire thing restarts, usually quite slowly. I'm running out of ideas now what this could be, I believe it might be the memory, but I'm not sure. I'd appreciate any help and advice you can give.

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
    Date:          2/20/2018 6:30:01 PM
    Event ID:      41
    Task Category: (63)
    Level:         Critical
    Keywords:      (2)
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      Gerald-Gunderson-the-II
    Description:
    The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
        <EventID>41</EventID>
        <Version>3</Version>
        <Level>1</Level>
        <Task>63</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-02-20T23:30:01.516804700Z" />
        <EventRecordID>230482</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer></Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="BugcheckCode">127</Data>
        <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x8</Data>
        <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0xffffd0006d192270</Data>
        <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0xffffd0006d1b1fc0</Data>
        <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0xfffff802aa126fd4</Data>
        <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
        <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
        <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 11:50 PM

All replies

• What have you tried before?

There are many reason will lead to this, we firstly do below things to have a check:

1.Make sure your drivers are up to date. Go to Control Panel>windows update>check for updates

2.Run memory check using this tool Memory diagnostic tool

3.Reset Virtual Memory here

4.Run disk check

5. Run sfc /scannow in cmd as administrator to fix the corrupted system components.

6.Unplug the usb device and perform a clean boot

The event log you provided has little valuable message, you can try to upload the complete eventlog. (Windows logs>system & Application)Right click the logs, choose save as..., then upload them to a network drive and share the link here.

In addition, go to %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP, seeing if any dump file exist recently. If it is generated, please help us collect them too.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 7:23 AM
  • Bug Check Code 0x127: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/bug-check-0x127---page-not-zero

As mentioned, "This bug check might occur because of a hardware error or because a privileged component of the operating system modified a page after freeing it.". You can try a clean boot (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows) and see if that helps. If it helps then it means that a third party software is causing it. If it does not help, I would advise to run a hardware diagnosis with your vendor.

You can get further details by examining the dump file: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/315263/how-to-read-the-small-memory-dump-file-that-is-created-by-windows-if-a

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 7:54 AM
  • Hi,

If you have any problems, please feel free to contact me.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 22, 2018 8:48 AM
  • The OP displayed:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

This is a critical error and can happen with:

1) Powering off the computer instead of a safe shut down.

2) Crashes without BSOD

3) Crashes with BSOD

The unexpected restart was a BSOD with bugcheck 127:

The PAGE_NOT_ZERO bug check has a value of 0x00000127. 
    This bug check indicates that a page that should have been filled with zeros was not. 
    This bug check might occur because of a hardware error or because a privileged component of the operating system modified a page after freeing it.

These critical event errors can be evaluated by viewing and troubleshooting the computer logs:

To evaluate the computer environment please post logs for troubleshooting.

Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command:

Make sure the default language is English so that the logs can be scanned and read.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

The command will automatically collect the computer files and place them on the desktop.

Then use one drive or drop box to place share links into the thread for troubleshooting.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

It will automatically collect these files:  msinfo32, dxdiag, mini dumps, drivers hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

There is 1 file for you to find manually:  memory dump file:

C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

Use file explorer > this PC > local C: drive > right upper corner search enter each of the above to find results.

Sometimes the dxdiag file needs to be found and saved manually:  In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > When the DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens click on the next page button so that each tab is opened > click on save all information > save to desktop > post one drive or drop box share link into the thread

Friday, February 23, 2018 6:21 AM