Taskbar becomes completely transparent RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 w/ SP1 and with Aero enabled and have come across a strange behavior. I've searched for a long time before posting this and have not found a bit of documentation on this problem.

The issue is that after returning from the sleep mode state, the taskbar becomes completely translucent, the entire bar is clear except for the windows start logo on the left, and the top border. The functionality of the task bar remains in tact, just not visible (ie I can click on the buttons, quicklinks, etc and even previews will display, I just can't see what I'm clicking on). I use the auto-hide feature of the taskbar as well. Here is an image to better describe the appearance of the taskbar (http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=33wb9t2&s=3). I can fix this bug by disabling Aero, and then re-enabling it, which will return the task bar to a normal appearance. Though, a pain to do this every time I return from a sleep state.

My system specs:

Precision M6300

T9300 2.5GHz

4GB RAM

Quadro FX 1600

Vista Ultimate x64 SP1

I assume this to be a bug and have tried to find a way to report this to Microsoft or their Vista Development team, but have found no viable option for doing so.

Any advice or help would be much appeciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Friday, May 16, 2008 5:06 PM

All replies

• Bump
    Rob
    Unless its repeatable and you can show MS exactly what causes it and its their product thats at fault its not a bug -lol. :-)

I noticed my Toshiba TE5 Tecra laptop does this as well -at least vista pops up a picture when you float your mouse in the right spot.

On mine it's good when I reboot but when I run lots of code to modify powerpoint 2007 slide animations  or is it the presentation view, thats when it does exactly as you describe. I have only seen it after running powerpoint so I guess thats it. Something else I don't like about office 2007 but I won't start or I won't be able to stop. :-/

How did you get on as I can't find any solutions with google & yahoo (bing even).
    Monday, August 17, 2009 10:52 PM
  • Hi Rob - I have the same problem with the taskbar. I did find a better work around than a reboot - "grab" the taskbar and drag it up so that you make it wider - the taskbar will reappear - then resize back down to it's original size and it will stay visible, until your machine goes back to sleep... 

This started after I installed the latest batch of MS updates issued after June 19 through September 15, 2009 - 5 WinUpdates, 13 SecUpdates, IE8 and Silverlight. I'm too lazy to uninstall each one, one by one and see which it is, I'll just continue to grab the taskbar.

I have Aero running on an Acer 9410Z, T2060 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM -512 for the on-board Vram, Vista32SP1 Home Premium.
    • Proposed as answer by JillyBear Friday, September 25, 2009 1:57 PM
    Friday, September 25, 2009 1:57 PM