none
Exchange 2007 - User's mailbox disappeared in EMC but they can still send and receive email RRS feed

  • Question

  • We have a user that was complaining about not being in the address book anymore.  After I did a little rooting around in management console I noticed that their mailbox was no longer listed under Recipient Configuration -> Mailbox, but what's weirder is I can do a search and find her listed in the results - at which point I can right-click her name and do everything I normally can with no problem. Listing all of the mailboxes with PS shows her still there too.  As far as I know, she is the only user having this problem.

    She can send and receive email just fine, but like I said, she is no longer in the global address list so other users have trouble sending her stuff.  At her computer, I tried repairing her email (under account settings) but the process would fail when searching for her settings.  I don't know if this is a stupid thing to add, but I did run Clean-MailboxDatabase on our first storage group to see if her mailbox had been deleted or disconnected or whatnot but nothing is currently showing up in Recipient Configuration -> Disconnected Mailbox.

    Some info on our setup:

    Exchange 2007 on Windows Server 2003r2
    AD is on Windows Server 2008r2
    Her computer is running Outlook 2010

    I did restart our Exchange server 2 days ago to update VMWare tools, but no Windows updates were installed.  She couldn't tell me exactly when this problem started, but it was more-than-likely in the last couple of days as she was recently married and I had to change her name in AD and Exchange - so everything was confirmed 100% functioning 2-3 weeks ago.

    I'm at a lost for what the issue could be, but then again Exchange isn't exactly my forte, so any help would be much appreciated.

    Thursday, March 12, 2015 4:31 PM

Answers

  • First things first - is her mailbox hidden from address lists?  Run Get-Mailbox <alias> | Fl HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled to find out.  It probably isn't, but we need to clear this, just in case.

    Now, assuming it is not hidden, have you searched for both her maiden and married names in your directory?  Often, when the name on a mailbox is changed, the display name is not - and vice versa.  Also, has her email address also changed?  If so, has a secondary proxy address been added to reflect her maiden name?  I'd do this, just to be sure things aren't lost that should be delivered to her.

    I can't think of anything else obvious right now.  After you've checked these things, get back to us with their results.

    • Proposed as answer by Will Martin, PFE Friday, March 13, 2015 2:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by rwmitche Monday, March 16, 2015 2:12 PM
    Thursday, March 12, 2015 6:01 PM

All replies

  • First things first - is her mailbox hidden from address lists?  Run Get-Mailbox <alias> | Fl HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled to find out.  It probably isn't, but we need to clear this, just in case.

    Now, assuming it is not hidden, have you searched for both her maiden and married names in your directory?  Often, when the name on a mailbox is changed, the display name is not - and vice versa.  Also, has her email address also changed?  If so, has a secondary proxy address been added to reflect her maiden name?  I'd do this, just to be sure things aren't lost that should be delivered to her.

    I can't think of anything else obvious right now.  After you've checked these things, get back to us with their results.

    • Proposed as answer by Will Martin, PFE Friday, March 13, 2015 2:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by rwmitche Monday, March 16, 2015 2:12 PM
    Thursday, March 12, 2015 6:01 PM
  • Thanks for replying Will.

    I think you might have just solved it.  Using your advice, I was looking at her account in AD and noticed that when I renamed her account I must have accidentally entered her Display Name in a different format than what we generally use (Last Name, First Name MI.).  After I changed that, I refreshed Exchange management and lo and behold she's back.
    Do you know why changing this attribute in AD would cause it to fix Exchange? We have several users that have different display names between AD and Exchange, so that doesn't seem relevant; maybe just changing it forced Exchange to update and fix itself.

    Well regardless, thank you very much for you help. Hopefully this wasn't just temporary.


    • Edited by rwmitche Thursday, March 12, 2015 8:31 PM
    Thursday, March 12, 2015 8:31 PM
  • Well, there is the fact that the AD IS the Exchange directory ...  You make changes in AD, you are making changes in Exchange.  And keep in mind there are two names visible in the tools - the display name and the name.  If you check them, you'll see that in the AD tool (ADUC), you see what Exchange calls the Name, and the Outlook directory and Exchange console show the DisplayName.  If you get a list of those where there are differences into a file, then run the following, you will see the differences in one place:

    Get-Content <name of text file> | Get-Mailbox | Ft Name, Alias, DisplayName

    Friday, March 13, 2015 12:39 PM