none
Losing information on saving RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am having many problems with microsoft project professional that may or may not be linked together

Symptoms are as follows;

1. upon opening I get a warning message "the decimal and list separator characters are set to the same value. these characters cannot be the same" I am based out of Europe and have modified , and . for grouping and decimal point to the American standard and this notification has gone away

2. Upon saving a project I get the following message "The file "____" cannot be opened. Check that the file name and path are correct. Check that the file format is recognized by Project. Project files saved in a version earlier than Microsoft project 2000 can't be opened. If your file is from an earlier version, open it in that version, click Save as (file menu), and save in MPX format. Open the MPX file in the current version of Project. When you use this method, project data is imported, but is lost."

The major problem is that any tasks that I had before saving, upon reopening the file show up as 6 entries, with indents and predecessors lost.

• Edited by Bogd4 Tuesday, January 23, 2018 2:51 PM grammarly plugin
    Tuesday, January 23, 2018 2:48 PM

All replies

• Bogd4,

What version and language of Project are you using? Is it fully updated? If not, or you're not sure, run Windows Update. Note, if it is a subscription form of Project (e.g. Project Online or Project 365), it is updated automatically.

It sounds like you resolved the decimal and list separator warning by converting from ";" to "," and "," to "." for delimiters and decimals respectively. Correct?

With regard to the second problem, it sounds like you file may be corrupt. Try saving as XML. Then re-open the XML file in Project. This often, but not always, resolves corruption issues. Note, you will lose any custom formatting with this process.

Another possibility is if you are operating the file remotely (e.g. over a network), network glitches can cause corruption. The solution is to work locally and then save locally as well as remotely.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 4:13 PM