EMIE - Remote Desktop Services with Mandatory Profile RRS feed

• Question

• We're currently testing out EMIE at my company. I'm able to set EMIE sites through Group Policy by creating a .xml file with the Enterprise Mode Site List Manager. This all works great but when an individual sets a site to Enterprise Mode manually through Tools > Enterprise Mode where is this information stored? This is important to our environment because we use Remote Desktop Services/Mandatory Profiles. I'd like these settings to follow users when they work remotely but this is impossible to do so without information as to how it's stored.

Here is what I know so far:

The information is stored in the User Profile but it is not stored in HKEY_CURRENT_USER. I know this because I've compared a HKCU without a site manually set to EM to a HKCU with a site set to EM.

Resetting IE to default settings after manually applying EM to a site does not clear EM on that site.

This thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/6c266558-a7f0-4169-a0a7-668899b1653e/ie-11-enterprise-mode-on-remote-desktop-server?forum=ieitprocurrentver

Asks the same question but it's not being answered. The OP Jonas_Bson pointed out the location of two folders and files that are created when EMIE is Enabled. These paths are AppData\Local\EmieSiteList & AppData\Local\EmieUserList. Both locations have a container.dat file that are 0KB. Regardless if sites are added / removed from EM the file stays at 0KB and the date created and modified time stamps never change. However, if I set a site manually to EM, delete the container.dat file in the EmieUserList location, relaunch the browser, the site manually set in EM no longer in EM. I created a container.dat file with EM set, and a container.dat file with EM not set. If I replace the container.dat file with EM set with the container.dat file with EM not set, EM is not applied to the page that was manually set. It appears this container.dat file is just some sort of place holder to use saved settings but is not where the settings are saved.

If anyone has found the location to where manually EM settings are stored, please let me know.

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 5:58 PM

Answers

• But we want the user-specified site list to "roam" with the user across RDS/Citrix sessions where we are using mandatory profiles, so we need to know where the user-specified list is stored in order to preserve it through logoff/logon scripts.

there's every chance that this might not be viable. Some of the IE data is stored as large integers, or BLObs.

An alternative approach would be to use the EM Site List Manager, and centrally manage the list.
    You can harvest the URLs that users are enabling, by using the logging settings.
    And Alan Burchill has blogged how you could do that:

http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2014/04/setup-internet-explorer-11-enterprise-mode-logging/

http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2014/04/internet-explorer-enterprise-mode-via-group-policy/

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by Michael_LS Tuesday, May 20, 2014 8:53 AM
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 9:27 PM
  • Hi David,

the IEblog post can be found here... http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/04/02/stay-up-to-date-with-enterprise-mode-for-internet-explorer-11.aspx

Two registry keys, which can be set via new Group Policies, enable/disable
    Enterprise Mode and provide a local link or URL path to the XML list. Different
    divisions or locations, for example, can be configured to use different
    lists.

• Registry Key

• Function

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ Policies\Microsoft\Internet
    Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode] “Enable” = “” | {URL:port}

• This setting lets you decide whether users can turn on Enterprise Mode for
      Web sites with compatibility issues. Optionally, this policy also lets you
      specify where to get reports (through POST messages) whenever a user turns on or
      off Enterprise Mode.

Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode]

“SiteList” = {File or URL}

• This setting lets you specify where to find the list of Web sites you want
      opened using Enterprise Mode. This list can be maintained using the new
      Enterprise Mode Site List Manager tool.

I am a bit confused however.... I do not see tools>Enterprise Mode... nor is it mentioned in the blog post.... my impression was that it was not a user configurable list.

Regards.

Rob^_^

• Marked as answer by Michael_LS Tuesday, May 20, 2014 8:54 AM
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 7:39 AM
  • I've had a little play with Enterprise Mode.

The blog post is a little lacking in detail..

When you enable the registry setting (or use GPO to do the same), "Enterprise Mode" becomes available on the Tools menubar drop-down. It doesn't show in the "cog" tools drop-down, nor in the "Command bar" toolbar tools drop-down.
    It's a "check-marked" (for enabled) visual experience. When you are browsing a webpage in IE11, and then "enable" EM, it becomes enabled for that URL, and the EM indicator displays for that URL, next the favicon, in the address bar.

It seems (based on some guesses, and a hint in another forum post recently), that the detail is written into a datfile into AppData, but I haven't verified that.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Thursday, May 8, 2014 10:24 AM
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 10:16 AM

All replies

• Hi David,

the IEblog post can be found here... http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/04/02/stay-up-to-date-with-enterprise-mode-for-internet-explorer-11.aspx

Two registry keys, which can be set via new Group Policies, enable/disable
    Enterprise Mode and provide a local link or URL path to the XML list. Different
    divisions or locations, for example, can be configured to use different
    lists.

• Registry Key

• Function

Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode] “Enable” = “” | {URL:port}

• This setting lets you decide whether users can turn on Enterprise Mode for
      Web sites with compatibility issues. Optionally, this policy also lets you
      specify where to get reports (through POST messages) whenever a user turns on or
      off Enterprise Mode.

Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode]

“SiteList” = {File or URL}

• This setting lets you specify where to find the list of Web sites you want
      opened using Enterprise Mode. This list can be maintained using the new
      Enterprise Mode Site List Manager tool.

I am a bit confused however.... I do not see tools>Enterprise Mode... nor is it mentioned in the blog post.... my impression was that it was not a user configurable list.

Regards.

Rob^_^

• Marked as answer by Michael_LS Tuesday, May 20, 2014 8:54 AM
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 7:39 AM
  • I've had a little play with Enterprise Mode.

The blog post is a little lacking in detail..

When you enable the registry setting (or use GPO to do the same), "Enterprise Mode" becomes available on the Tools menubar drop-down. It doesn't show in the "cog" tools drop-down, nor in the "Command bar" toolbar tools drop-down.
    It's a "check-marked" (for enabled) visual experience. When you are browsing a webpage in IE11, and then "enable" EM, it becomes enabled for that URL, and the EM indicator displays for that URL, next the favicon, in the address bar.

It seems (based on some guesses, and a hint in another forum post recently), that the detail is written into a datfile into AppData, but I haven't verified that.

Don

• Edited by DonPick Thursday, May 8, 2014 10:24 AM
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 10:16 AM
  • We are in the same situation as the OP.  We have read the documentation and we know how to implement Enterprise Mode through Group Policy and an XML site list.

We are allowing our users to toggle Enterprise Mode for their personal sites that are not in our centrally managed XML file.

But we want the user-specified site list to "roam" with the user across RDS/Citrix sessions where we are using mandatory profiles, so we need to know where the user-specified list is stored in order to preserve it through logoff/logon scripts.

It is stored somewhere, because it persists through a logoff/restart for users with local profiles on our workstations.  We just haven't been able to find it yet.

(We also found the container.dat files, and our first thought was Bingo!, followed quickly by Doh!)

-ardamis

Thursday, May 8, 2014 12:32 PM
  • But we want the user-specified site list to "roam" with the user across RDS/Citrix sessions where we are using mandatory profiles, so we need to know where the user-specified list is stored in order to preserve it through logoff/logon scripts.

there's every chance that this might not be viable. Some of the IE data is stored as large integers, or BLObs.

An alternative approach would be to use the EM Site List Manager, and centrally manage the list.
    You can harvest the URLs that users are enabling, by using the logging settings.
    And Alan Burchill has blogged how you could do that:

http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2014/04/setup-internet-explorer-11-enterprise-mode-logging/

http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2014/04/internet-explorer-enterprise-mode-via-group-policy/

Don

Thursday, May 8, 2014 9:27 PM
  • Don, thanks for putting your time and effort into trying to understand the situation and the potential problems caused by our lack of understanding and available information.

Even if the user-specific site list data is stored as REG_BINARY values, possibly even tied to those 0-byte container.dat files in the user profile, that's something we could try to work with.

We are using a centrally managed list of business-purpose sites, but we don't want to add every user's personal site to that list.  Imagine if we have 2000 users and each of them have 2 unique sites that they put into Enterprise mode.  If procedure is to add them to the centrally managed file, that's a XML sitelist file of 4000+ sites.  I don't want to manage that.   As an administrator, I just want to centrally manage the handful of business-purpose sites.

Also, what if one user submits a site because she feels that it looks better in Enterprise Mode, but another user prefers to benefit from a feature available only in default IE mode?  Both users can be happy if each is able to configure the site individually, but one or the other will be unhappy if it is centrally managed.

The answer is out there somewhere.

-ardamis

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 5:28 PM
  • The answer is out there somewhere.

At this point, I'd be preparing to dig deep with some tools (maybe Process Monitor etc), or, log a Premier case.

Don

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 9:29 PM
  • Just as I already mentioned in another thread:

The local version of this file is stored in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\xxxx. The AppData\Local part will never (and should never) be stored in the roaming profile. So with each logoff the information will be lost. But in the registry under HKEY__USERS\user_sid\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode the key with the file version remains. When the user relogs, the file won't be loaded, because the IE compares the file version in the registry key and the centrally stored file. And as long as there is no newer version of the file, it won't be reloaded from central store.

The question is, why Microsoft chose to store this file in the Temporary Internet Files folder. It would be much easier for an Enterprise admin, if it was stored in the roaming profiles part. Particularly it is called ENTERPRISE MODE. So it will eventually be a pain to many admins, as it is to me.

Thursday, June 12, 2014 7:36 AM
  • Hello Fabiman1968

You are correct about the centrally managed xml file being downloaded to ....Content.IE5\xxxx. However, the discussion herein is about the location where the user's EM sites not part of the centrally managed sites via the xml file.

In other words, if the centrally managed xml file contains, cnn.com msn.com uknews.com and the user manually enables usa.com to run in Enterprise Mode, where is this information stored? This information does not seem to exist in "...Content.IE5\xxxx" If you have found it there -not the central xml file, but a file containing the new EM addition, in this case usa.com- can you share the name of the file? The folder name we know is random but we can certainly find it by file name...

Friday, August 22, 2014 5:57 PM
  • Has anyone come across the answer to this riddle?
    Thursday, September 11, 2014 11:36 PM
  • It is a complete pain in the ass and a completely botched implementation on MS's part.

I'm just trying to deal with it today, my initial reaction to it is to just remove that key at login.

We are using the central list, so removing the 'CurrentVersion' key completely forces the user to always download the central list regardless.

Got us out of trouble.

For any interested, the PS for removing the key is simply:

If (Get-ItemProperty "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode" -Name "CurrentVersion"){
        Remove-ItemProperty -Path "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode" -Name "CurrentVersion"
    }

Friday, December 12, 2014 4:49 AM