Saving files from PC's over VPN RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Win Server 2012 R2 DC connected to the branch office via an IPsec VPN. Users at the branch can log in just fine and use their terminal server sessions. Branch PC's are not domain members. Drives on the server are mapped over the VPN to the local PCs. When users attempt to save files from the local PC to the mapped drive on the DC they get errors because they do not have permissions and are not domain members. They have accounts on the DC for their terminal server sessions. Is there any way around this so that when needed files on the local PC's can be dropped directly on the server over the VPN. 
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 5:35 PM

Answers

• I never was able to get the net use command to work and connect the drive over the VPN. However I did find another method. Once the drive was shared and permissioned correctly I was able to use the map drive option from the local PC. I checked the box to use different credentials, entered those and checked the box to remember those credentials. Entered the IP address of the server over the vpn and the share name. It worked. Thanks for your assistance with this issue.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian_Wang Thursday, October 30, 2014 7:44 AM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 6:32 PM

All replies

• Hi

Can you copy all the file to the server, and let them there after ? For backup and such it's a way better solution than leaving the file on all computers

Regards, Philippe

Don't forget to mark as answer or vote as helpful to help identify good information. ( linkedin endorsement never hurt too :o) )

Answer an interesting question ? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 5:39 PM
  • Yes I already copied all the files to the server. But there is special transcription software that creates files on the local C drive of the PC. I need to have those files saved to the server over the VPN as the users finish the transcription.
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 5:51 PM
  • The special software is installed on the pc or the TS ?

Regards, Philippe

Don't forget to mark as answer or vote as helpful to help identify good information. ( linkedin endorsement never hurt too :o) )

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:15 PM
  • On the PC
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:16 PM
  • Is it possible to deploy it to the TS's server ? The critical file will be always on the server backupped.

Regards, Philippe

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:26 PM
  • Not possible; not enough bandwidth for the TS session to play the audio file over the Internet.
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:30 PM
  • I just re-checked, I took a bad approach. 

Under what account the map is done on the local PC to access the server ? Is it a share security issue, please check the NTFS security and the share permission (by default in the share permission it's read-only)

Regards, Philippe

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:46 PM
  • Yes, it would be a share security issue. The local PC at the branch office is not a domain member but is just part of the workgroup at the branch. Is it possible to allow the branch to write files to the server over the VPN without being a domain member?
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:52 PM
  • Yes, you supply the credential in the net use. You could script a .cmd with that, and put it in a local login script.

- Like that "net use u: \\server\share OR ipaddress\share /user:domain\username"

Regards, Philippe

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:20 PM
  • I'm having trouble getting this command to be accepted. I'm testing it first from the command prompt. "net use u: \\server\share OR ipaddress\share /user:domain\username".  Don't I need the password for the user in this cmd?
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 4:53 PM
  • Hi, yes, you need the password

net use u: \\ip\share /user:domain\username password

Regards, Philippe

Thursday, October 23, 2014 2:13 PM
  • Hi,

I just want to confirm what is the current situation.

If you could ping the remote server, it could be permission issue.

If the computer is not domain member, you need to  type the credential and password.

http://www.howtonetworking.com/VPN/browsingovervpne1.htm

Regards.

Vivian Wang

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 5:31 AM
  • I never was able to get the net use command to work and connect the drive over the VPN. However I did find another method. Once the drive was shared and permissioned correctly I was able to use the map drive option from the local PC. I checked the box to use different credentials, entered those and checked the box to remember those credentials. Entered the IP address of the server over the vpn and the share name. It worked. Thanks for your assistance with this issue.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian_Wang Thursday, October 30, 2014 7:44 AM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 6:32 PM
  • Hi,

Glad the issue was solved by yourself. And thanks for your feedback.

Regards.

Vivian Wang

Thursday, October 30, 2014 7:45 AM