terminal servers 2008 constantly crashing office 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've already posted this question elsewhere but they told me to ask on here.

I am a young IT support technician apprentice called Charles. I have come across an issue where all of our terminal server users are having issues with office 2016. Several times a day their outlook session will freeze or crash. All of our non terminal server users seem to get on fine and have no such issues. This has become a big problem as it has been found to reset actions taken 5 minutes before the crash occurs and is becoming a burden to our purchasing department. Below is the versions of our servers. Could there be an incompatibility at all or am I missing something? 

Terminal servers: 2008
    Exchange server: 2010
    Office2016

• Moved by Steve Fan Monday, September 24, 2018 9:06 AM move to dedicated Outlook forum
    Wednesday, September 19, 2018 2:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Are other Office 2016 applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) affected by this issue?

Is there any operation in Outlook that triggers the crash or it just freeze/crash automatically at random time?

Please try collecting the event logs when this issue happens so that we can analyze the logs to know more about this problem.

We can also try using Outlook in safe mode (outlook /safe) and see whether the issue continues. 

Besides, please make sure your server and Office are fully patched with all available updates, then check whether this issue will happen again.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, September 20, 2018 6:07 AM
  • Outlook only, sometimes the user can be doing nothing with Outlook and it will crash. Below is an event log:

Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 16.0.9126.2275, time stamp: 0x5b636e6f

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.24168, time stamp: 0x5b1aad38

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000000000032964

Faulting process id: 0x589c

Faulting application start time: 0x01d450c72496079e

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: 2200ddee-bcbd-11e8-97a7-0050569b6dbc

Thursday, September 20, 2018 10:23 AM
  • Tried Outlook in safe mode and it still crashes.
    Friday, September 21, 2018 7:26 AM
  • Thank you for the update.

Do you have cached Exchange mode enabled when running Outlook on the terminal servers? Try switching between online/cached Exchange mode to see the result.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, September 24, 2018 9:05 AM
  • Hi

we have tried in both online and cached mode and we have still seen a crash.

Monday, September 24, 2018 2:18 PM
  • Can I get any further assistance please as this issue is still prominent.
    Tuesday, October 23, 2018 7:09 AM