none
Replica inconsistent - error 30111 - VSS Error after switiching to Hardware VSS Provider RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been using the Hyper-V VSS Writer to backup two VMs - as a test. That worked fine for the last 2 weeks. Yesterday someone from the storage team installed the HP EVA hardware VSS provider on all Hyper-V hosts in the cluster. It is in the list of supported hardware VSS writer for DPM.

Yesterday night both VMs failed with error 30111 - the shadow copy provider had an unexpected error while trying to process the specified operation (0x8004230F). I checked the event log but didn't see anything that might be of help.

I am quite sure that it is a configuration issue with the hardware vss provider. I mean it worked just fine before they were installed. Unfortunately I have no knowledge of the HP EVA hardware VSS provider and don't know what to look for. Maybe there are tests that could be run? Is someone here familiar with it and could give me some advice what to look for?

Friday, February 15, 2013 12:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You should see Application event log entries from source hpEVA VSS hardware provider.

Until you get the hardware provider issue fixed, Add the following value on all of the nodes of the Hyper-V cluster.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent\UseSystemSoftwareProvider]

This should force VSS to use In-Box VSS Software provider.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, February 15, 2013 5:21 PM
  • Hi,

the hardware provider was configured. I found out that the business copy license was not configured. So after this was done I restarted the backup. The result was that the host server crashed.

There were hundreds of "UsrPnP" entries  in the event log. I have no glue why those device drivers were installed. I found them for everything - for every volume/ for every existing snapshot / for mpio (which I don't understand)... all showed a successful message. The administrator told me that he saw over 1000 of them and he believes that this is the reason the server crashed (all resources consumed).

So now I tried to use the key you mentioned before my next backup. That led to the next host crash. I already opened a new question for this. I don't understand why the reg key was not used.

Saturday, March 23, 2013 3:21 PM
  • Hi,

How are you determining that the UseSystemSoftwareProvider setting was not used ?

You can see what VSS providers was used for the last snapshot by running the following find command.

Cd C:\Program files\Microsoft dpm\dpm\temp

Find /I "CVssSnapshotRequestor:: ProviderId:" dpmracurr.errlog

The providerID used will be in the output.

You can match it up with the output of vssadmin list providers:

C:\>vssadmin list providers
    vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
    (C) Copyright 2001-2012 Microsoft Corp.

Provider name: 'Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0'
       Provider type: System
       Provider Id: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}
       Version: 1.0.0.7

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, March 23, 2013 11:42 PM