Which devices can let me make internet hotspot service? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Someday I have tried connecting to a wireless connection which was showing in the wireless network connection  list of my laptop, and I have succeeded to log in without entering any a PW or Security key. However, when the connection was wirelessly established, I was asked addition log on information may be required, although there an internet access was shown. However, when I tried opening a browsing page, this login page was shown me(screen shot below). 

I know that a hotspot  is a place in a public building where there is a computer system with an  access point , which allows people in the building with a  wireless  computer or  Bluetooth mobile phone  to connect to a service such as the Internet 
    But what I don't understand is where I can purchase a device which will allow me to make such this internet hotspot service? Can I do this with normal Router/modem, or there are some specified devices used to do such tasks?

Also, are there place equipages required to make such a service or it is only another device to be connected to the LAN port of a normal Router/Modem in order to broadcast the Router's wireless signals?  

A man should convert his anger and sadness into strength to continue living in this life.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:56 PM

Answers

• Yes, I know that, but how can I do/setup such a thing?
    My wireless router can only be set up like that by securing it with a PW. However, when the user got the PW, then he can be connected to a wireless and then gets a internet access. However, as said before, when I tried connecting to that wireless which is not mine, I was succeeded to connect to it without asking about a PW, but there was no internet access, although I am connected to wireless. And when I opened a website(opened a browser), I found that a log-in page showed me and I was asked to enter a login name and a PW to enter to that internet hotspot service. 
    As a result, how can I set up such a system? Let a user connect to my wireless router without asking about a PW, and then he will be asked to enter a login name and a PW for internet hotspot service while he is trying to browsing the internet.

I wish you understand me.

A man should convert his anger and sadness into strength to continue living in this life.

Hi,

It need a technology called Captive portal, you can refer to the link below for more details:

Captive portal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_portal

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Tuesday, July 15, 2014 8:10 AM
    Tuesday, July 8, 2014 7:34 AM

All replies

• I depends on where you are wanting this "hotspot".  If you want to setup your own "hotspot" in a public place you need to be able to "tether" your smartphone.  If you have a wireless router in your home, then that is a "hotspot".

You must be more explicit about what you want and where you want it.

I don't think this has anything to do with Windows.  In most case your wireless smartphone is "tethered" to establish a "hotspot" via your wireless communications provided if you want to establish on in a public place.  Other a wireless router configured as an access point is the source of the "hotspot".

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:19 PM
  • Thank you so much indeed,

More details about what I want are as follows:

I have always been seeing many wireless network connections are shown when running my laptop. I don't know where these wireless networks are broadcasting from, and I don't if there are near to me or not. But when I try to connect to either, I find myself be connected to either without asking entering a PW. However, after opening a browser web, I was asked to enter the PW and login. Thus, my question, if  I wish to setup such a service, how I can do? Are there some devices other modem  which can be used to boost and distribute modem's wireless connection to other places. So the wireless of that modem can be accessed from a long distance. 

On other words, are there other devices which can be connected to a Router/Modem via the LAN port? If yes, then these devices, I think, will be used to distribute wireless point into people who are far away from that Modem, thus, they can be connecting to the the same wireless of Router, although they are too far way from the Router's wireless point.

As a result, I am looking for such devices which can be used to let other people who are very far away from my Modem/Router's wireless range  be able to connect to my Modem's wireless point.

Besides, Yes I have a wireless router in my home, and I agree that is a "hotspot". BUT, ANY PERSON WHO WANTS TO CONNECT TO MY WIRELESS ROUTER, HE MUST BE ASKED TO ENTER A PW IF MY WIRELESS ROUTER IS SECURED BY A PW. HOWEVER, IF IT IS NOT SECURED, THEN HE WILL BE CONNECTED TO MY WIRELESS ROUTER WITHOUT ASKING ABOUT A PW, AND HE WILL BE ACCESSING TO THE INTERNET 

BUT I WOULD BE SAYING, AS SAID BEFORE, WHEN I TIRED CONNECTING TO A WIRELESS ROUTER  FOR SOMEONE ELSE, I CONNECTED TO IT WITHOUT ASKING  ABOUT A PW SINCE THAT WIRELESS ROUTER WASN'T SECURED BY A PW. BUT THEN, I WAS ASKED THAT ADDITIONAL LOGING MAY BE REQUIRED,  AND WHEN I TIRED TO OPEN A  WEBPAGE, A LOGING PAGE SHOWED ME (AS IN MY FIRST SCREEN SHOT). THUS, HOW CAN I SET SUCH SETTINGS? HOW CAN I LET ANY PERSON CONNECT TO MY WIRELESS ROUTER WITHOUT ASKING ABOUT A PW. HOWEVER, HE WILL THEN BE ASKED TO ENTER A LOGIN NAME AND A PW, AND HE HE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS TO THE INTERNET UNTIL GETTING A LOGIN NAME AND A PW. I THINK THERE IS SOME DEVICE SHOULD BE CONNECTED TO MODEM WHICH WILL BE CONTROLLING ON WIRELESS ROUTER SUCH A WAY

• Edited by cooperator Wednesday, June 18, 2014 7:13 PM
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:52 PM
  • As I said before, this is not a Windows issue.

You need to go out on the internet and do research about wireless devices and their capabilities.  You will find hotspots without a password requirement and you will find others that require passwords.

There are many internet forums that deal with wireless networking and are better suited to your questions.

Remember: G.I.Y.F. (Google Is Your Friend)

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Thursday, July 3, 2014 7:29 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by cooperator Thursday, July 3, 2014 10:51 PM
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 7:27 PM
    My wireless router can only be set up like that by securing it with a PW. However, when the user got the PW, then he can be connected to a wireless and then gets a internet access. However, as said before, when I tried connecting to that wireless which is not mine, I was succeeded to connect to it without asking about a PW, but there was no internet access, although I am connected to wireless. And when I opened a website(opened a browser), I found that a log-in page showed me and I was asked to enter a login name and a PW to enter to that internet hotspot service. 
    As a result, how can I set up such a system? Let a user connect to my wireless router without asking about a PW, and then he will be asked to enter a login name and a PW for internet hotspot service while he is trying to browsing the internet.

Thursday, June 19, 2014 11:01 AM

Hi,

It need a technology called Captive portal, you can refer to the link below for more details:

Captive portal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_portal

Roger Lu

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Tuesday, July 15, 2014 8:10 AM
    Tuesday, July 8, 2014 7:34 AM
  • Thank you so much indeed,

Yes, that is really good. But do you think I can set up my  (TP-Link) Router /Modem to support this technology called 'Captive portal' Or I will need other devices?

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 12:10 AM
  • Hi,

I'm not sure, but you can refer to the link below for more information about Captive Portal, maybe you can find your answer.

https://personaltelco.net/wiki/CaptivePortal

Roger Lu

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 1:30 AM